S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

scratch on front bumper

Old 06-21-2001, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch on front bumper

wouldn't you know . . .

have always washed and waxed the S myself, but my boss has taken his cars to an in-town detail shop, so i thought what the hell... Still always cautious, rather than let anyone else drive the S, i dropped it off for the "wash and wax."

a/f 1/2 day, picked it up and returned to work. when had a break in work (around 7:30p), go down to do the full inspection. back looks great; back window great; driver's door great; OH SH_T - there's a 2" gash on the top of the bumper that pentrated the cover .

So, finally, to my question - has anyone on the board had to have a bodyshop fix a scratch (not fixable by touch-up) on the bumper, and was the whole bumper re-painted, or only the front portion. I know how difficult paint matching can be, and just wondered what the experience of others has been.

thanks; Charles
Old 06-21-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Many people here have had problems with matching, even when the whole bumper is done. IMHO get the Body Repair Manual from www.helm.com it has an excellent section on paint ing this area and special concerns.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Search for "Bumper Paint" and at the top of this page and you will hit most of the posts.

P.S. Welcome to the board.
Old 06-21-2001, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it penetrated the bumper:
1. you need a lawyer! (jk)
2. you probably will need a new bumper.... seems that the detailers should pay for that

fight on!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:49 PM

i feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!! the other day when i was washing her myself i was washin the front bumper and i was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?????!?!?!!? there is about a 4 in lond big ass scratch along the bottom of the front bumper! i mean you can see black under the yellow! i am sooooooooooo pissed and i have no idea how the hell it got there, no one drives the car but me and i know that i havent scraped anything, let me find out who did it and then they will be very very sorry........no more sweet jen the bitch will come forth!!!!!!!! lol dont mess with a chicks s!
and with that note see yahll
<3 jen
Old 06-22-2001, 03:38 AM

is it a scratch or a pushed in crack? A scratch isnt that big of a deal. What they do is spot repair the area and feather out and blend the paint. Flat colors like a black are easy to match and blend. These things happen, don't worry about it - its fixable
Old 06-22-2001, 11:10 AM

When I took delivery of my silver S-2K there was a gouge on the front bumper. To make a long story short the dealer tried several attempts to match the paint with unacceptable results and also screwed up the bumper so bad it had to be replaced. I finally took it to a high end shop at their expence and all is well now. The most frustrating part was the three weeks of not having my brand new car.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:39 PM

TrojanLaw2K,

You'll probably need to take it to a bodyshop to get it fixed right. If you're in the LA area, I can recommend a few places for you. Send me a PM.

Welcome and Fight On!!!!
Old 06-22-2001, 12:53 PM
bjl

I'm taking mine in next week to have both bumpers repaired. The front has a spot towards the bottom that they said they could spot repair but the back bumper is going to have to be completely repainted.

By the way, when I was at the body shop there was a red S2K there with black wheels that they said had $7000 in front end damage......anyone here?
Old 06-22-2001, 01:13 PM

Which shop did you take it to??? I know that Prolene had some pretty bad damage to his front and he has black wheel on his car.

Quick Reply: scratch on front bumper