S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

SEAT LOCK ALTERNATIVE

Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol love everyone's comments and input. Yes I'm sure welding would be good and the glue idea. But I guess Vatko you're right. Just have full coverage.
I wish I could get a hold of some Kodo bolts but hes not even replied to my PM's so that's why i though I'd try these. Cheaper to.
And there was a guy in the Houston section that mentioned he has used 3 inch bolts and they went all the way through and then for extra security he used 3 nuts under the car with Loctite. Lol. Thats some serious security.
But then again Vatko I guess if there's a thief going directly for some s2k seats then they possibly could have some kind of cutters to just cut the damn rails off. Wow that would blow. Anyways I have it garaged just worried when I'm out and about.
I will have updates on this tomorrow.
Thanks guys for everyone's thoughts..
Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
By the time they've destroyed your top you already have an insurance claim, so who cares about the seats?
Some people don't have full coverage.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
Originally Posted by thomsbrain' timestamp='1321134194' post='21151164
By the time they've destroyed your top you already have an insurance claim, so who cares about the seats?
Some people don't have full coverage.
Yeah I forget that. Personally I can't imagine not having full coverage on this car if it ever was driven on the street. But I guess people do.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar set on my car. Only one hole on the passenger side is not a thru hole, so I had to shim it with a nut. I got a set of 4 with key for around $25 shipped (link below). I've had them on for almost a year with no issues.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/870...#entry20667406

OP, sorry I'm not trying to jack your thread, just trying to share my experience with these bolts.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ldo
I have a similar set on my car. Only one hole on the passenger side is not a thru hole, so I had to shim it with a nut. I got a set of 4 with key for around $25 shipped (link below). I've had them on for almost a year with no issues.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/870...#entry20667406

OP, sorry I'm not trying to jack your thread, just trying to share my experience with these bolts.
No worries man you ain't jacking nothing. The whole purpose of my thread was to get input as well and see what others are using. Can't sit around and wait for Kodokan cause I'm sure his are on back order. I needed a solution ASAP and was just throwing ideas out there.
Also another member mentioned in another thread that maybe you can get something like this so before the thief f**ks up your top they will think twice. Just an idea

Hopefully this would prevent them from even slashing your top and just move on to the next car. I mean anything that's a lock bolt will make them struggle and as long as something could possibly take more than 10 minutes to unbolt will get the thiefs frustrated and make them move on. They want as little time as possible. Idk I just want something other than our OEM 10mm bolt. Because my son even knows how to take those out. :-/
Old 11-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just going to put Allen head bolts in all 8 spots and fill them with a nut and glue. Yeah, they might be able to get them out with vice grips, but they can also dig out any button head bolt too.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warning sticker is a good idea. I've heard of thieves slashing seats after they were surprised by the locks.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM

hm i like this idea. were those bolts for the front or rear seat bolts?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Adionik
I'm just going to put Allen head bolts in all 8 spots and fill them with a nut and glue. Yeah, they might be able to get them out with vice grips, but they can also dig out any button head bolt too.
Whatever works for you man. I just would like to be able to take out my seats if i need to without having to get the glue out. But do whatever you can bro to keep thiefs away

Originally Posted by Ldo
Warning sticker is a good idea. I've heard of thieves slashing seats after they were surprised by the locks.
Yes man it is. I've heard that people that didn't have the sticker saying that they had locks and when the thief broke into their car, out of anger those @ssholes cut his seats because they were pissed that they couldn't get the bolts off. Now that would blow also but atleast he has seats still and get them re-upolstered rather than going to the dealer and spending 9k.

Originally Posted by street_ruler
hm i like this idea. were those bolts for the front or rear seat bolts?
Yeah man they are for the front only, the fronts are 8Mx1.25 and rears are 10Mx1.25
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Group,

The seat bolts in front are 8mm x 1.25mm pitch x 20mm long. These are readily available as a button head (rounded) with 5mm hex socket. This is what I used to replace the existing seat bolts. Not thief proof, but cannot be removed without the correct Allen wrench. I used some Loctite as well, as the seats will probably never be removed.

Be sure to get Grade 8 or better bolts and matching washers. This is a high strength application. Most black oxide socket heads are Grade 9.

The rear bolts are the tough ones. 10mm x 1.25mm x 25mm. The chrome bolts shown in one of the posts will not work(wrong thread). This is a metric fine thread. I was quoted $15 each for a lot of 50 bolts. No way I could afford that. You can get regular socket head (allen) in this size, but not button head.

So for basic seat security, just replace the front ones. Not perfect but inexpensive and easy.

Dave

Quick Reply: SEAT LOCK ALTERNATIVE