S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Second gear going out?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second gear going out?

Just bought my second s2000 a few days ago and realized second gear doesn't properly engage all the time. This is under normal driving conditions. I would shift from first to second, it would about 3/4 into the gear, and I would be free revving. Going to change the MTF in a few days in hopes of solving this.

Any thoughts on what the problem is?

Note: The car holds a salvaged title. Been in at least two accidents. No frame damage. Odometer has 112,xxx miles.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Model year would help here. Early "AP1" transmissions would slip out of gear as I recall and there was a factory recall on some (?).

-- Chuck
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Model year would help here. Early "AP1" transmissions would slip out of gear as I recall and there was a factory recall on some (?).

-- Chuck
04 ap2
Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you get it into 2nd with the car off? Doesn't sound good though, there isn't really any adjustment like other Hondas since the shifter is connected directly to the transmission. Sounds like when my civic trans went out eventually that grinding 3rd gear just disappeared and wouldn't engage and then eventually spread to other gears. But before you condemn it I would do like u said change the fluid look for pieces of metal and also take apart a re grease the shifter. Maybe they had a short shifter or something and didn't put it back together right.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Its most likely clutch drag. Most likely reason is adjustment rod, under the dash. There is an excellent youtube video diy. Ots easy. Less than 5 min. Only requires a 12 mm open end wrench, and a nimble back to get yourself under the dash.

You should also change the fluid in clutch mc. If its black, do a full fluid swap via gravity bleed. Then swap mc fluid at each oil change to maintain it clean.

If rod adjust doesn't fully solve it, do the gravity bleed anyway, as you might have trapped air.

I would expect a tremendous improvement once you perform both of these tasks properly.

If its still an issue, you could be having first signs of clutch disk spring failure. A spring may be breaking out of its mount, and causing drag. If so, a clutch replacement may be in your future. This is a common issue with cheap ebay or cheap exedy clutch disks. They fail this way in usually about 20k miles.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I would replace fluid. Iv worked on my many trans and rebuilt them.

If that dosent fix it then it's ur 2nd gear synchro. It is worn out not broken. U can still still drive the car. Baby it into 2nd.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:42 PM

MT Fluids came in today and had plans to do it right after the oil pan but a stripped bolt took a lot longer than expected. Will swap out the MTF tomorrow and hope that solves the problem. It's an old car and judging by the ownership history on the carfax, I doubt anyone switched out the fluids. Might just be low.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
I would replace fluid. Iv worked on my many trans and rebuilt them.

If that dosent fix it then it's ur 2nd gear synchro. It is worn out not broken. U can still still drive the car. Baby it into 2nd.
Not a bad suggestion. My S2000 started doing this and eventually the clutch fluid level dropped. (It was such a slow leak that I didn't see a drop in level for a while.) I had a very slow leak due to a bad slave cylinder. After replacing that, no more 2nd gear issues.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TVPincDoc
Not a bad suggestion. My S2000 started doing this and eventually the clutch fluid level dropped. (It was such a slow leak that I didn't see a drop in level for a while.) I had a very slow leak due to a bad slave cylinder. After replacing that, no more 2nd gear issues.
Thanks for the input, I just replaced the clutch fluid in the reservoir and hopefully this will solve the issue.

The MTF change did help a bit but the second gear continues to miss once in a while. Praying it's not the synchros but chances are high given the possibilities now.

BTW, what is this second gear grind everyones talking about?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Gear grind, when you are able to shift into next gear, but there is a distinct grinding feeling, accompanied by a bit of noise. Typically its a bit of clutch drag, which usually can be adjusted out.

Quick Reply: Second gear going out?