S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should I purchase a S2000?

Old 02-15-2001, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I am new to this board. I need some advices and wonder if anyone can help.

I am thinking if i should purchase a S2000. I've never test drive it nor test ride it. But i've read several excellent reveiws and seems like the S2000 is a good buy.

So, let me introduce myself. I am a 22 yrs old engineer who enjoying modifying cars. Now, i own a Nissan 200sx se-r and have several modification on it and have been to several tracks couple times. I live in southern california, so a convertible may be a good choice. I drive about 85miles(roundtrip) to work every day with my se-r with STIFF suspension, mostly stop-n-go freeway traffic. I do not concern about the ride since i think the S2000 should have a better ride than my current car. The followings are my concerns:

1) is the clutch light? i heard that sport car has a stiff clutch. is it drivable in stop-n-go traffic without massaging my left leg every night?

2) will the plastic rear window turn yellowish in like a year? how to avoid this from happening?

3) I saw that the cup holder is next to the handbrake, if there's a Large cup in the cup holder, does it block my right arm when shifting?

4) is the S2000 capable for daily driving in my situation?

5) Is lease a better choice or finance a better choice? I am sure that i'll exceed the limited mileage for sure if I lease a car. I am guessing i'll put about 25-30K miles per year on the S2000. But if i finance it, it'll worth less if i have 60k miles on it for 2yrs.....

6) Is the insurance very high for a 2 dr, convertible, sport car?? how much should I expect roughly?

7) Do i need a bigger roll bar for track events? or is the stock roll bar good enough for most track events?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:39 PM

hey man.

i have a ~100 mile daily commute (round trip) and that's not going to stop me from getting an s2k in the near future. i'm also 22 yrs old, and love modding cars. i currently drive an OEM Integra - was modded until it was stolen. havent had the cash or heart to do it all over again.

however, my brother (in Austin) has a great idea too. he already has a great coupe (Solara) which he uses during his commute. his love for modding cars hasnt been as strong as mine, but he's buying a used Miata and going to use it as an autoX, weekend, and track car. turbo, the whole deal. much less expensive, and he keeps his current ride. something to think about.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:44 PM

But i am planning to trade in my se-r for the S2000. I can not afford 2 cars at this moment.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:20 PM

The car is magic once you get used to driving it

The clutch is light. Not a concern at all

The rear window turned feral on me in two months but the clear pastic polishes have it looking like new

The cupholder is fine if you are on a highway but not in you are working the car through a lot of twists and turns.
The cup will get in the way

I drive the car through peak hour traffic five days a week. It putts its way through as comfortably as a Civic would

Mine is on lease simply because it is the most tax efficient way ofdoing it for me

Insurance is always high for a car like this. No idea where you are from so my comparative base may be meaningless

Sorry, I have no expertise on rollbars.

Hope the above is helpful. You will not regret owning a S2K if you think through your needs and decide you can get by with a car with minimal carrying capacity. My last sports car was a NSX and I love the S2K just as much.

happy driving Se-R!!!
Old 02-15-2001, 05:21 PM
Avi

The S2000 is a great car. I have my 01 since Nov. 2000. I would not recomend this great car for long comute and stop and go. If you can't keep your car you should waite untill you can efford a comuter and than by the S. This is my opinion
Old 02-15-2001, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by se-r

1) is the clutch light? i heard that sport car has a stiff clutch. is it drivable in stop-n-go traffic without massaging my left leg every night?

**** I drive about 90 miles r/t daily on the 405. Clutch pressure is not a big issue.

2) will the plastic rear window turn yellowish in like a year? how to avoid this from happening?

**** I cover my car every day at work. This should mitigate any "yellowing."

3) I saw that the cup holder is next to the handbrake, if there's a Large cup in the cup holder, does it block my right arm when shifting?

**** I put my garage remote in the cupholder. Anything else, such as a cup, blocks your shifting arm.

4) is the S2000 capable for daily driving in my situation?

**** It's a perfect daily driver in So. Cal.

5) Is lease a better choice or finance a better choice? I am sure that i'll exceed the limited mileage for sure if I lease a car. I am guessing i'll put about 25-30K miles per year on the S2000. But if i finance it, it'll worth less if i have 60k miles on it for 2yrs.....

**** Leasing would kill you since you would be charged an arm and a leg for over-mileage.

6) Is the insurance very high for a 2 dr, convertible, sport car?? how much should I expect roughly?

**** I pay $860/yr and I am a 33 y/o engineer. For comparisons, when I was 29, I paid $2400/yr for my NSX. And when I was your age I owned an Eclipse GSX and paid $2100/yr.

7) Do i need a bigger roll bar for track events? or is the stock roll bar good enough for most track events?

**** No experience with aftermarket rollbars.
Old 02-15-2001, 08:11 PM

Don't buy one. They're terrible little beasts...
Old 02-15-2001, 10:30 PM

I used to own a 92 SE-R for about 7 years...

My S is a daily driver of about 50 miles a day to and from school. Between that and pleasure driving, I average about 200 miles a week now. No complaints except that with the gravel on the roads, I've been getting pelted lately...

But, its a car and I couldn't see driving something boring the rest of the time...
Old 02-16-2001, 03:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by se-r
There has been discussion in the Racing and Competition forum on this issue http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=6934
Some track events allow the stock hoops (driver education experiences). I doubt that they will be legal for use in competitive events, but aftermarket bars and roll cages are available and more are being developed.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:51 AM

Thanks EVERYONE for the inputs.

The earliest date that i'll make a purchase is on April. But is it better off to wait for couple more months for the 2002 S2000? Will there be a new color come out for the 2002 model?

Quick Reply: Should I purchase a S2000?