S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should I be worried? (Oil ??)

Old 03-19-2001, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 1200 miles on my car - and I have checked the oil level religiously (not meaning only on Christmas and Easter)...when I noticed the oil had gone down by one "X" I added about 200mL of Mobil 1 to bring it back to full - I didn't even think about it, as Mobil 1 is the only oil I have used in any of my vehicles for YEARS!

My question is should I be worried about having added Mobil 1 rather than the "Honda" oil during the break-in (which is, I realize, also Mobil brand, but non-synthetic)?
Old 03-19-2001, 09:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

200ml? I reckon you could add 200ml of castor oil and not be concerned.

JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN!
Old 03-19-2001, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries, mate.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:12 AM

You did the right thing! My salesman told me (who's extrememly knowledable btw) that you can replace the factory oil with other oil such as Mobil1. The oil they place in has special addiditives that's designed to be used when the car is new from the factory. When you get to 3750 miles you want to do a fresh oil change with Mobil1 or whatever oil you choose. Don't change the oil before then and just keep using the same Mobil 1. Happy Motoring!
Old 03-20-2001, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Silver
When you get to 3750 miles you want to do a fresh oil change with Mobil1 or whatever oil you choose.
Adding 200 ml of oil to your 5,600 ml of mineral oil is nothing to worry about. However, I'd just add mineral oil to the engine from now on, if you need to add more.

The collective wisdom of this board, for what it is worth, is to stick to mineral oil for about the first 5,000 miles. The experts on this board say that synthetic oil is so slippery that it prevents the rings from seating properly. Someone posted in a previous thread something about an NSX whose owner started using synthetic oil early had the rings never seat properly.

Some people on the board have also reported that when they changed to Mobil 1, they lost the "feel" of the VTEC surge. I don't think they really lost the VTEC changeover because they could still rev to 9,000 and I don't think you can rev the F20C to 9,000 rpm unless the high rpm cams are engaged.

So, the right thing to do when the oil is low on your new S2000 is to add any top quality 10W-30 mineral oil. Do the first oil change at 7,500 miles if you operate a "normal" service pattern and 3,750 miles if you operate a "severe condition" service pattern. "Severe condition" is more normal than normal, I think.

AHM says, "Use this schedule if the vehicle is driven mainly in any of these severe conditons: Less than 5 miles per trip, or, in freezing conditions, less than 10 miles per trip; in extremely hot temperatures (over 90 deg F); extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving; driving in mountainous conditions; or on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads."

See https://www.s2ki.com/faqs/faq_maintenancesched.php

My plan is to add 10W-30 mineral oil until my first oil change. I plan to do my first change at about 3,750 or at about 6 months, whichever comes first, and to stick to mineral oil until at least 5,000 miles or longer if my engine is still consuming oil at 5,000 miles. My new short block has not consumed oil during its 650 miles. Yes, I'm finally up to the same mileage I had on my first short block.

Barry
Old 03-20-2001, 05:03 AM

I know this topic comes up over and over again but if the Synthetics prevent the rings from seating properly, why does Porsche put Mobile 1 in all their cars at the factory? There are a couple of other high performance cars, like the Viper, who also come with Mobile 1. Is there something different about the S2K engine?
Old 03-20-2001, 05:06 AM

Steve,

Barry WY has it by the book. The manual is specific in that it gives you the schedule but it does not address adding oil during breakin period. That you need to verify with the dealer. To save you the trouble of contacting the dealer, Barry WY has spelled at everything my dealer has told me. Just remember to check the oil at fuel stops.

I will eventually switch to synthetic lubricant that the dealer recommends and will probably have them do the first service at that point. I think it solves some of the oil consumption that the VTEC tends to be known for.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:46 AM

I have 6500+ miles on my baby and she is still drinking oil? Should I be concerned? I only ask b/c I am!!!
My plan was to change to "mobil 1 fully synthetic" once she stopped drinking oil but she never stopped; so on Sunday I changed my oil for the first time. I used mobil mineral oil instead of the mobil one. Anyhow, I changed it on Sunday afternoon, and we've shared about 75 miles since then... I just checked her oil today and I'm down 2x's (havent added any yet since I changed it, but looks like I'm gonna have to soon).
This is starting to bother me!
What's everyones oppinons?
I guess I was thinking once I replaced the filter and all the oil she would stop using so much, but apparently thats not gonna be true.

thanks for your thoughts and time.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

9200 Miles and mine is using oil still, went for Mobil 1 Synthetic @ 8000 miles after changing @ 4050 miles with Mobil 10-40 Dino oil. Topping up this weekend to see how much it has used since 8000 mile change.Was full now on bottom x.

Track-day on 30th March
Old 03-20-2001, 07:07 AM

I have noticed my Stook loves oil. This has been true especially since my shortblock replacement. I have been back to the dealer a number of times now. AHM is doing an oil consumption test with me now to see if it really is way out of norm. AHM told me that I should remember that this is a street legal race car and that it will use more oil than a normal car.

VTECs are also known for increasing oil usage so I guess you sort of have to factor all this together. I will let everyone know what comes of my oil usage test and what they say in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried? (Oil ??)