S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So today I drove with the top up

Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So today I drove with the top up

I must say, it felt extremely weird. I bought the car back in January, ever since the California storms passed here in around April the car hasn't been driven with the top up since. Mentally, I wasn't thinking of driving differently but subconciously I just seemed to want to attack corners. I was stuck behind a car on the freeway and felt like I was doing 55-60, only to look down at the speedo and see 85 I completely forgot just how planted and graceful the S feels at speeds without the elements whipping you in the face. Have any of you top always downers experienced something similar when putting the top up for the first time in a long while?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to drive more aggressively with the top too.

Studies have shown convertible drivers to be the nicer/friendlier and less susceptible to road rage (top down of couse) - likely attributed to exposure to other drivers.

Mood changes driving styles as well as other factors, like when I leave the gym and am all amped up - really gotta keep the speed in check.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Aug 29 2010, 09:39 PM
I must say, it felt extremely weird. I bought the car back in January, ever since the California storms passed here in around April the car hasn't been driven with the top up since. Mentally, I wasn't thinking of driving differently but subconciously I just seemed to want to attack corners. I was stuck behind a car on the freeway and felt like I was doing 55-60, only to look down at the speedo and see 85 I completely forgot just how planted and graceful the S feels at speeds without the elements whipping you in the face. Have any of you top always downers experienced something similar when putting the top up for the first time in a long while?
you're definitely right!

even with just a softtop, it feels cozy and sporty.

I may be exaggerating here a litte bit, but unless the weather is perfect, driving top down is just a little annoying. haha. And now that cooler fall weather is coming, I think I'm not going to have the top down as much.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by chubbychu,Aug 29 2010, 11:42 PM
you're definitely right!

even with just a softtop, it feels cozy and sporty.

I may be exaggerating here a litte bit, but unless the weather is perfect, driving top down is just a little annoying. haha. And now that cooler fall weather is coming, I think I'm not going to have the top down as much.
I put the top down when its 50 degrees at 5 am, 105 at 2pm, or in a light 'rain'. It was about 59 degrees, and I just felt colder than it was so I decided to leave it up. Awfully odd. Also another question, does anyone notice that people try and play/race on the freeway more when the top is up than when it's down?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top down when I can - leave the top up if it looks like rain or I am only going a short distance (to save on wear).

I find I drive more aggressively with the top down, but everyones different.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon,Aug 30 2010, 05:49 AM
Top down when I can - leave the top up if it looks like rain or I am only going a short distance (to save on wear).

I find I drive more aggressively with the top down, but everyones different.
I've been driving with the top up, lately. If it's not raining(every other day... literally), then its 95+ deg F with 90% humidity.

And I usually drive more aggressively with the top down.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Really don't like this car with the top up. More drone, more rattles, blind spots etc. Wish I had a different car when the top is up really.
Top down I love it.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Really? Mines easier on the ears with the top up. Then again my exhaust is hellishly loud
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Well the exhaust itself is quieter with the top up but get more drone with it up as well. I also have my rear tray removed so that adds to that.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 AM

I seem to drive in a more 'spirited' fashion with top down. I hear more wind noise than engine so I tend to push it more until I hear the engine like I typically do.

Quick Reply: So today I drove with the top up