S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Someone hit Michelle...AGAIN!!!

Old 03-02-2001, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some half-wit must have backed into my rear end at work today...didn't notice it until I went grocery shopping tonight. BASTARD didn't even leave a note...

<sigh> Same $H!T, different day!

Looks like they backed into the left rear corner and bent the bumper down about a 1/4". The bumper itself doesn't look damaged or scratched, so it must be the metal holding it to the car.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much this might cost me to get fixed? It seems like an easier job of just rebending some metal inside, doesn't have to be pretty since you can't see it.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn this is annoying. These morons who can't back up without hitting someone seem to be everywhere! I've gotten so jittery about this I won't park where there seems to be any risk of this happening.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sux man!!!It's hard to guess when we don't really see exactly what's the damage. I would just take it to a body shop and have them estimate.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:49 PM

Now that I've had time to think about it, it MUST have happened at the grocery. I filled up with gas a few minutes before, and I like to think I would have noticed a malformed bumper and black strip showing under my tank (it's quite noticeable, even from a distance).

I took a better look and got a picture (will post when I get it developed, it was the last on the roll). It seems they DID damage the bumper pretty good...black marks starting from the left rear corner all the way to the wheel well. There happens to be a metal post just behind the wheel well at that perfect height, so when the other car scraped there it dented the plastic and scraped the paint right off. Three nice and thick parallel lines...all hidden by the road salt and grime.

F**K!!!

I'm an apathetic, misanthropic sociopath...I hate people, and I'd kill them all if I cared.
Old 03-02-2001, 07:54 PM

Man, I lived in Boston for 4 years, and all I can say is that they are some of the most inconsiderate people in the entire world. They just don't care when it comes to other people's property.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MacGyver? Did you take my poll?

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=6967
Old 03-03-2001, 06:31 AM
Tox

I've had the front clip off my car (to install horns) but not the rear clip. I'd imagine the rear is held on the same way, though, by a series of plastic screw-and-plug fasteners and a few metal clips. If you're lucky, the hit just popped out one of the plugs, and you'll be able to reattach it.

I'd suggest picking up a shop manual, following its instructions to remove the rear clip, and checking it out. It might not be too bad at all.

Sorry this happened, and good luck.
Old 03-03-2001, 07:49 AM

Greg: I have now

Tox: I got underneath this morning and took a look. No idea what's on the front, but on the rear there is a wide section of sheet metal on each side that attaches from the frame to the bumper. The unlucky side has the sheet metal bent in taco fashion, so I get the feeling the bumper will straighten itself out when the sheet metal does.

Most of the lines were just black bumper droppings that could be scraped off (with some light grazing of the paint underneath), but the paint is stripped to the bumper in three spots, about the size of a thumbtack. The bumper might be marginally tweaked right at the spot the metal attaches to the bumper, but it will probably be covered up when painted...not enough to worry about a new bumper, for sure.

I've called a body shop that specializes in Mercedes/Bimmers...waiting to hear back from them.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the body repair manual for the S2000, if your shop needs any specifics...I can fax a page or two.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, I don't know much about fixing your damage, but I hope I can make you feel better by joining your company. Mysery loves company, right?

Last week at my parents', I deliberately parked ~10 feets behind a fire hydrant while leaving plenty of room from the car hehind me. That way I can be sure no one will back into my car when parallel-parking (since there's a fire hydrant), right, right?!? WRONG!!

Some idiot instuctor decided to teach his student driver to parallel-park right in that hydrant space. When I saw them pull-over next to the car infront of mine from my parents' window, I knew exactly what was going to happen. However I didn't want to run out there like a mad dog and start barking at them when they haven't done anything wrong, yet.

So I watch from the window, and sure enough, the student driver backed into my car time after time, and the freakin instuctor let him! Needless to say, I charged down there from my parents' condo as fast as I could, and even when I stood right between the 2 cars, they still had not noticed me. By then, their Neon was bumper-kissing my S, with the back-up light still on.

I was mad as hell as I knock on the driver's window...ya de ya de ya da. I was not nearly as upset at the student driver as I was at the instructor. He should know better, right?! He teaches people how to drive for God's sake! Anyway, the instuctor offered not one apologetic word, and claimed their car only "touched" mine, "once". Ahem, bullshit, ahem. To cap it up, he began to write on my S's trunk (w/ snow residue on it) when I demanded we exchange driver & insurance info.

Boy...there's just no safe place from inconsiderate people.

[Edited by PsychoBen on 03-03-2001 at 09:53 AM]

Quick Reply: Someone hit Michelle...AGAIN!!!