S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: WWYD (what would you do)
buy beater and garage S
22.22%
keep on driving
0%
Fix it (without rebuild)
77.78%
rebuild
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Something interesting

Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something interesting

Hey people
its me again!

Interesting question came up to me because I've notice miss fire in cylinder 1 and a low compression at 120

I'm still in school now and graduation is couple of years from now.
my S is my daily

my plan before the whole low compression and misfiring thing was to buy a daily AFTER I grad. and fully restore my S. (by fully i meant to strip it down and rebuild everything that i could) selling is not an option (NEVER - unless i go homeless lol!!)

simple poll just wondering what would you guys do.
heavy student loan and less working hours because of school makes buying a daily now a stretch.
So yeahhhh
as I make up my mind
i want to know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

As a fellow student, I will give you the same advice I'd follow myself: find out what makes the most financial sense, and do it. At the end of the day, these are fantastic cars that will last if taken care of. If you maintain it fastidiously, you can daily it, track it, autocross it, and take it on road trips.

If the problem is money, then fix the car, but DO NOT take any short cuts, because it's going to mean you're back in the shop and without a car. If it costs a little extra money to fix the car now, the RIGHT way, budget for that and make it happen. You'll be pretty broke, but when you get your car back and it runs as it should, that sense of relief that you have transportation will make it all worth it.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
As a fellow student, I will give you the same advice I'd follow myself: find out what makes the most financial sense, and do it. At the end of the day, these are fantastic cars that will last if taken care of. If you maintain it fastidiously, you can daily it, track it, autocross it, and take it on road trips.

If the problem is money, then fix the car, but DO NOT take any short cuts, because it's going to mean you're back in the shop and without a car. If it costs a little extra money to fix the car now, the RIGHT way, budget for that and make it happen. You'll be pretty broke, but when you get your car back and it runs as it should, that sense of relief that you have transportation will make it all worth it.

Hope this helps!
thanks for you input!
financing is not even the big problem, is the fact i need this car to go to places -_-///
if i throw it in the shop for a rebuild or even just to change out 1 cylinder's ring, I will be car-less. i live in LA no car=no where.

i think fixing it little by little minimized the damage caused by delaying a rebuild might be my best option
IDK still pretty bumped out about all this. @_@
Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Well you need to find out specifically what the problem is first. If it's something like a bent valve or piston ring it could make it significantly worse if you wait to fix it. If financing isn't a problem, get a rental. Miami is like that, where you NEED a car to get around, so either bum rides (shitty) or get a rental (less shitty).
Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Green_AP1
Hey people
its me again!

Interesting question came up to me because I've notice miss fire in cylinder 1 and a low compression at 120

I'm still in school now and graduation is couple of years from now.
my S is my daily

my plan before the whole low compression and misfiring thing was to buy a daily AFTER I grad. and fully restore my S. (by fully i meant to strip it down and rebuild everything that i could) selling is not an option (NEVER - unless i go homeless lol!!)

simple poll just wondering what would you guys do.
heavy student loan and less working hours because of school makes buying a daily now a stretch.
So yeahhhh
as I make up my mind
i want to know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Fix the car without a complete rebuild. You need to get it diagnosed by a reputable shop. From there they can tell you what specifically the problem is. The bottom end may be in perfect condition and you might only have a bent valve for instance. Have the car repaired and be on your way.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:47 PM

very likely is a low compression with a loose piston ring. did a compression test with little bit of engine oil added in cylinder 1. boost right back to 200 @_@. i miss track day already haha!!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:54 PM

How many miles are on the car?
I would fix whatever it needs and get a rental for a week. AAA discount.
Then when you got money rebuild whatever you want
Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
How many miles are on the car?
I would fix whatever it needs and get a rental for a week. AAA discount.
Then when you got money rebuild whatever you want
117k only
Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

A second car brings added expense, such as insurance. So you miss a track day or two, and you don't go to so many parties for a while. If you can afford to fix the car for now, then do that. Get by until you can afford the time and money for your rebuild.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM

I'm in with getting it fixed. You're talking a lot of money if you buy a beater, while the S is in the shop and then the beater dies. Do what you know will work.

Quick Reply: Something interesting