S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sport Springs Which To Go With

Old 10-23-2000, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get sport springs and drop the car by about an inch and a half. But I'm wondering which is better and which will work with the stock dampeners. Comtech makes the adjustable springs that people seem to like.

But I also came across a set of springs from RM Racing that were a good deal cheaper and also lowered the car about 1.5 inches. The question I have is which is better. Price is kind of important, but I don't want to sacrifice on handling and performance.

Has anyone had any experience with the RM racing springs?

Also, I will be putting 18" rims on next year. How much of an improvement in halding can I expect.

Finally, do I need to beef up other parts of my suspension, such as adding a strut bar?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

BigRedESS
Old 10-23-2000, 09:47 PM
Bieg

What makes you think that any of those things you are doing will be an improvement? It probably will LOOK better lowered but what makes you think it won't make things bad.

This is one of the best handling cars you can buy for the street as it stands. It is far better than most drivers here can exploit.

Might I suggest the money might be better spent on a good racing school? That would make the biggest improvement in the handling.
Old 10-23-2000, 09:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Actually Bieg, racing school won't do anything for the handling of the car.
Old 10-23-2000, 09:53 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Bieg, you're like a machine

relentless
Old 10-23-2000, 10:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

VaporTrail's got some Espelir springs up for grabs if you're interested. See his thread "Prelude to Farewell"
Old 10-24-2000, 03:12 AM
Bieg

Actually Bieg, racing school won't do anything for the handling of the car.
Put someone who KNOWS how to drive fast in a stock S2000 and someone who doesn't have a clue in the most modified S2000 you want and I will put my money on the better driver any day of the week.

The second point is that lowering the car and consequently stiffening the suspension with springs and 18 inch tires (with corresponding low sidewall height) may give you a little extra grip on a billiard table smooth skid pad but in the real world (ie: the street) it will degrade the handling of the car.

One of the nicest things about the S2000 is how well ballanced the handling is. By judicious use of the throttle you can set this car into the corners (and have it keep it's composure even over rough mid corner bumps at very high speeds). Lower and stiffen the suspension and you start to screw up the ability to transfer weight fore and aft by using the throttle. You still can do it but your inputs have to be so much more severe and the car will become so much LESS FUN to drive.

The car will also become way more skittish when you encounter high speed mid corner bumps and that you can rest assured will be way less fun also.

If you are going to set your car up to run only on race tracks and need suspension adjustability then fine but start messing around with the already excellent suspension and you will more than likely screw up the handling on the street.

Of course if you are just into "profiling" and are only concerned with lowering the car so it looks cooler disregard all of the above and have fun.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IN NO WAY IS MEANT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR MONEY AND YOUR CAR. THIS IS JUST ONE VOICE WHO HAS NOTHING TO SELL YOU GIVING YOU THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY. DO WITH IT WHAT YOU WILL BUT DON"T EVER SAY YOU WERE NOT WARNED.
Old 10-24-2000, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. You are absolutely right. The best money spent would be on a good racing school like Bob Bondurant or Skip Barber. Been there, done that. In fact, in my earlier life, I worked for a company where I had the privilege to learn driving techniques from some of the best drivers in the world.

Frankly, I don't intend to track the car, just have safe, street fun. My concern is with maintaining the excellent handling characteristics of the car.

Also, others have posted that the Comptech springs improve the handling of the car.

As you seem very knowledgeable about the mechanics of performance cars, you would have to agree that lowering the center of gravity, increasing spring stiffness along with a lower profile tire that has an increased contact patch will improve handling, if the other suspension components are equally adjusted to the modificvations. This seems to be a basic tenet of automotive physics.

However, you bring up a good point about the car's handling. It is exceptional and one of the reasons I bought the car.

Perhaps, in this case, it is better not to mess with success.

BigRedESS
Old 10-24-2000, 04:11 AM

You migth try Esperil ( Japan made springs, imported by Blitz ) and in my opinion the best choice, I think Eibach just got Pro-Kit springs for the S2000. Esperil WILL be cheaper than Eibach. If you need help finding them let me know.
Old 10-24-2000, 04:58 AM

FYI, lowering the car will raise a lot of eyebrows at the dealer if you ever bring it in for warranty service.

From what I can recall, most of those that have lowered the S2000 have done it (mostly) for the appearance, not performance.
Old 10-24-2000, 05:04 AM

Bieg,

A good driving school is great, like the Driving school at Pocono Raceway a few members went to almost a month ago. I plan to do it in early spring. (By the way for anyone interested, the 2 day class also qualifies towards the SCCA licensing)

But, I have a question about the lowering springs/Coilovers. I can see this will be a great debate. Wouldn't the lowering and the stiffing of the springs improve the handling and drag ratio of the car? With less air flow under the car, wouldn't the higher air pressure over the car force the car down, thus causing it to stick better. Furthermore, isn't having a lower center of gravity better for cornering? I am not an expert by any means, but I am sure someone could come up with a mathematical equation that either proves or disproves our theories.

Quick Reply: Sport Springs Which To Go With