S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

squeaky sound in suspension?

Old 06-11-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky sound in suspension?

when i have the top up, when i can hear better, i can here this squeaky sound when i go over bumps.. sounds like its coming from the suspension. the car corners fine.. but that squeaky sound is kinda freaky.. anyone?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought i had that problem too, but i think its some of the body panels or something in the car that squeaks. Still can't pin point it, it only happens like 40% of the time.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM

yeap same with me.. not ALL The time.. but its annoying after you notice it.. i several members @ meets looked at it.. they suggested suspension bushings.. but i have no idea ;[
Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

same problem, getting VERY annoying.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:30 PM

yup same here but its a car DRIVE IT
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We've got a very stiff riding car. Suspension bushings on it is what they are to do what they need to do. A lot of S2000s have these sorts of noises when the suspension is compressed like when going over speed bumps. It doesn't mean something is wrong. It's just the way the bushings on some cars are. You can go under there and spray silicone on all the ones you can see and hope it works their way in and ease the noise.
Has any work been done to the suspension? One mistake people make is when putting the car back together after the installation of braces, sway bars, etc, is they torque everything down when the suspension is still up on jacks. The suspension needs to be loaded when tightening things down. If this isn't one of things that might have happened to the car, then it's just normal suspension noise. Try the silicone thing but beyond that, you'd have to take the whole damn thing apart, lube everything up and put it all back together. It just a squeak. It's not the end of the world.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:00 PM

True its not the end of the world just a bit annoying. I was just concerned about something being loose under there, but being how it sounds like common place I am not concerned. I will probably look into it sometime and spray it down a bit, but I am enjoying the car WAY to much to worry about a squeaky front end
Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, one addition thought .................
If you can prove to the dealer that it's your springs that are making the noise, you may be able to get them to replace it. Car springs are no different than bedsprings, just bigger. Every now and then, you'll get one that squeaks when compressed. In that case, there's nothing you can do about it but to replace it. Again, it's nothing functionally wrong. It's just a squeaky spring.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 PM

i have a squeak that comes from the right side of the suspension, when i go over bumps, but also u can hear it sometimes when turning the wheel like a clicking and its def. the same spot or w/e causing both noises.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check and see if it is the hood. All i had to do was adjust the rubber dampers on each side and that terrible squeek stopped .

Quick Reply: squeaky sound in suspension?