S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Stock exhaust..

Old 01-08-2023, 05:46 AM

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Stock exhaust..

Well I'm heading out today to pick up a take off stock exhaust for my 2005, it currently has a HKS Dual High-Power Exhaust that a previous owner put on. I'm going to put on the stocker to see how it sounds and get rid of some of the drone. Seems like everyone puts a louder exhaust on and as normal I'm not everyone..
Old 01-08-2023, 07:23 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Can you measure the sound/noise level of what you have before and after you replace it? Instructions are here (among other places). The SPL Meter app on my iPhone (Studio Six Digital) is so close to my lab calibrated OSHA noise meter I only use the OSHA meter when the App shows obvious excessive noise that requires mitigation. My phone is always with me and I can come back to a specific area of a factory with the fancy meter. Exhausts are noisier on startup.

-- Chuck
Old 01-08-2023, 12:41 PM

Ok, I got home with the new old exhaust (pics below) and did some quick decibel checking with an app on my phone (just called Decibel Meter).
Outside the car about a foot or so behind the tailpiles
High idle ... ................................................93
Low idle ... .................................................8 9
4,000 and 6,000 rpm were the same at ... 91

Inside the car sitting in passenger seat as wife was operating the throttle. Car sitting still with the top up.

Idle ... ..........78
4,000 rpm ... 84
6,000 rpm ... 88

I'll have to do a driving test with it sometime, but that would include road noise.

Here is what I bought.. The guy (from on here) was good enough to shrink wrap the ends to keep stuff out, he said it had about 66k on it.

Last edited by A.O.; 01-08-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the measurements.

For the standard noise test (used by California and wannabe states for legal testing and by many users to compare exhausts like we're doing here) the microphone used in the test should be level with the center of the exhaust outlet (but no lower than 8" off the pavement) and 20 inches away from the outlet at a 45° angle outboard of the vehicle so the exhaust isn't blowing directly on it or getting reflected noise off the body work. Warm engine speed of 75% of WOT (6000rpm for an AP2 engine).

If your measurements were taken like this 91 is less than my Tanabe Medallion and "not too loud."

The new-old exhaust in your photo looks like an AP1 exhaust. Round tips and round whatever that thingie midway between the cat and resonator is called. Darned if i can remember what it's called. These are both oval on AP2 exhausts. Should work fine. You'll probably have to fiddle with the rubber hangers which are auto store as well as any Honda store.

-- Chuck
Old 01-09-2023, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Thanks for the measurements.

For the standard noise test (used by California and wannabe states for legal testing and by many users to compare exhausts like we're doing here) the microphone used in the test should be level with the center of the exhaust outlet (but no lower than 8" off the pavement) and 20 inches away from the outlet at a 45° angle outboard of the vehicle so the exhaust isn't blowing directly on it or getting reflected noise off the body work. Warm engine speed of 75% of WOT (6000rpm for an AP2 engine).

If your measurements were taken like this 91 is less than my Tanabe Medallion and "not too loud."

The new-old exhaust in your photo looks like an AP1 exhaust. Round tips and round whatever that thingie midway between the cat and resonator is called. Darned if i can remember what it's called. These are both oval on AP2 exhausts. Should work fine. You'll probably have to fiddle with the rubber hangers which are auto store as well as any Honda store.

-- Chuck
Are you saying the mufflers or the tips coming out are oval or both? He said he had it on his CR for a while, what ever that means. Cost me $110 and about 60 bucks for gas so I thought it was worth a chance. I'm hoping my chrome tips fit on it as well as it came with no tips. It all seems to be in good shape.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:12 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

The oval Helmholtz resonator was on '06+ years. '05 and earlier were all round.

The ap2 exhaust has more robust hangers, which aren't visible in these photos, and while the tips are same/similar, they stick out more ap1 vs ap2, due to differences in bumper shapes. Its the pipe off the muffler that differs in length, not tip itself.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:24 AM

I've never seen a CR exhaust off the car but this sure looks like a 2000-2003 AP1 exhaust. No matter, it will work.

Helmholtz resonator is what the thingie is called. Round pipe-like thingie before 2004 and oval afterwards. AP2 exhaust has the oval "Accord" tips which fit under the oval shaped bumper cutouts. AP1 and almost every aftermarket I've seen are round. Tips are available on Amazon and the OEM tips show up here from time to time.

Oval tips. Oval tips.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:57 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

BTW, if stock exhaust ends up being just a bit too quiet, a uk mod might be the solution. Zero drone since its still stock exhaust. Added volume is based on bypass pipe diameter. Larger = louder

This mod is a simple bypass pipe welded in-between that loop at front of muffler and the entrance pipe into muffler. Pipe ends up being like 5 inches long or so, and no one will see it.

Most want LOUD, so popular bypass pipe sizes are 38mm or even 44mm. For you I'd suggest 25mm.

A 25mm bypass will end up being slightly louder than stock, and sound like a factory option. A gentlemen's exhaust.

Something to note, while fitting a hfc barely changes exhaust note on stock exhaust, it does amplify volume of uk mod. So what sounds perfect with stock cat might be a bit louder than perfect if you ever fit a hfc.

Since stock cat is so expensive, if you have a cat failure, hfc becomes attractive option.

Note also its possible to tone down uk mod by fitting a diy restrictor plate. Basically a stainless steel washer. Sawzall a slice into bypass pipe, stick in a washer. JB weld or real weld to hold it in place. Experiment with washer hole size to tune to your liking.

Live with the stock exhaust for a while to see if its too quiet, or just right.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:22 AM

Ok, you guys were discussing things so I went out and took some more pics.. maybe we can determine what this really is off of. Unfortunately the chrome tips on my current exhaust are part of the mufflers so I'll have to track tips down along with the proper front "gasket" .

Sorry about the gynormous pics!

The exits from the mufflers are definitely round

And the resonator is definitely oval

Looks very clean inside

And the markings on the front of the mufflers

Old 01-09-2023, 06:03 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

Quick google search shows the SG-543 was for the AP1, not sure how accurate that is. I've never looked at my AP2 exhaust to see what it says.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust..