S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Which suspension setup for me?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which suspension setup for me?

While having my brake lines replaced, some friends noticed my front shocks were leaking oil. I'm very happy w/ the way my car handles/rides already, but I guess that means it's time for an upgrade!

I've been researching a lot, and still not sure what I want. Would appreciate any advice/input that may help me make a decision. First consideration is street performance, specifically TX Hill Country roads. There are a lot of dips, rises, and less than perfect pavement, so a lowered, super-stiff track setup may not be the hot ticket here. I don't mind going stiffer, as long as it's streetable, somewhat refined, and works for Hill Country back roads. I plan on getting to the track soon, however, and may start going more next year (but street perf. will still be the priority).

Option #1: Konis on stock springs. Pros: low cost, can run stock ride height or only .75" lower, no need for corner balancing Cons: will stock springs be too soft? (seems like most people get springs w/ them)

Option #2: Bilstein PSS9: Pros: great price for the quality, great reputation. Cons: too soft?

Option #3: KW Variant 3. Pros: best quality/adjustability in my budget, won't outgrow them Cons: expen$ive, will be trickier to dial in

Option #4: Should I consider any other options in particular?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well...since no one has replied yet...I can complare the Koni to the KW V3.

I have Koni + Espilar. I don't think the stock springs would be too soft. But the Konis are softer in compression than stock, which makes bumps less jarring. And of course rebound is adjustable to be waay more stiff than stock. The result is that the Konis take a set as you are cornering and then hold it.

A buddy has the KW V3 and I've run his car at autox. The KWs are adjustable for compression, so that can be set as you desire. his were at least as stiff as stock. The car feels as if it reacts more quickly to inputs especially in rapid transitions (like slaloms). However, if left on stiff it can feel more jarring on the street (but it is adjustable).

So...which would I recommend? Hard to say...I autox and I will probably step up to the KWs next year. If the car was for the street only, then I'd probably be happy with the Konis and save the $1000 for other toys (like gears).
Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Former Moderator

I cant comment on the s2000 application of KWs vs PSS9s. I spend/spent a lot of time on the E46 boards, as well as having lots of M3 owning friends. The consensus is that the PSS9s are superior, and MANY of them actually switched. PSS9s also have extrenal reservoirs.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Oct 20 2006, 02:09 PM
I cant comment on the s2000 application of KWs vs PSS9s. I spend/spent a lot of time on the E46 boards, as well as having lots of M3 owning friends. The consensus is that the PSS9s are superior, and MANY of them actually switched. PSS9s also have extrenal reservoirs.
so did the KW's
Old 10-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice would be to find somebody who has pulled their stock units off and buy them cheap.

Wait until after you start tracking the car to make this decision, or you will just end up paying more.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put swift progressive springs on with spoon spec showa dampers and i LOVE the way it rides
Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

PSS9's are great, perfect combination of improved handling with a decent ride. The adjustments can go from a little firmer than stock (9) to way too stiff for the street (1). I set mine on 7 front and 8 rear for the street.

Most of the early talk about the Bilsteins being too soft was based on the non-adjustable PSS set.

The KW's spring rates are stiffer, so they are a little more jittery on the street. They're a few hundred bucks more than PSS9's.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 PM

KW spring rates are 550lbs which equals about 10,000 kg/mm. I would not ever recommend running the KW Variant 3 at full stiffness on the street ever. This will lead to unnecessary and premature aging of the shocks.

Regarding the PSS9 units being superior... To what units are they superior?

The KW Variant 3 has external reservoirs on each shock and for the most part, are easily adjustable to suit most track conditions.

The Variant 3 rides similar or a bit stiffer than stock on the softest settings and when dialed in properly will outshine the stock units on the track.

I am not really too familiar with the Bilstein units but I know that the KW Variant 3 is very well designed. I have never experienced fade due to overheating the shocks while on the track either. Thus far my experience with the KW Variant 3 is only positive.

I would say however that if you will not be tracking for some time to locate another set of stock shocks or purchase the Konis. The Konis can definitely hold their own on the track and are a lot less expensive than the Variant 3 or PSS9.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you like the stock set up, just continue with that. Buy OEM replacement parts or find someone who has taken their stock system out and buy theirs.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:39 AM

I like the stock setup, but that doesn't mean I don't think there's room for improvement (esp. if I start attending more HPDE's).

I'm going to check out a high-end Tein setup, KW V3's, and Buddy Club on friends' cars over the next week or two. Hopefully that will clarify what I want to do.

Thanks to all for your input!

Quick Reply: Which suspension setup for me?