S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Suspicious Carfax?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspicious Carfax?

Hi all, I am fairly new to these forums and S2000's but am eager to become part of the s2000 community. I have had my eyes open for the right s2k for a couple months now and think I may have found it but am a little unsure. I just ran a carfax on it and it is surprisingly bare for a 10 year old car. I would vastly appreciate if anyone could give me insight as to whether this carfax is suspicious or not. Much appreciated!

01/12/2001 Miles: 5 Front spoiler installed, Pre-delivery inspection completed
02/12/2001 Miles: 6 Vehicle serviced
06/28/2002 Miles: 3,000 Passed emissions inspection
01/24/2011 Miles: Blank Registration issued or renewed, Vehicle color noted as Gray

The first two comments are sourced from Brewster Honda in Brewster, NY
The third is from a Connecticut Inspection Station
and the fourth is from Connecticut Motor Vehicle Dept. New Canaan, CT

Again any feedback is much appreciated as the seller says he used to be a car dealer but is selling this for a friend. The car is an 01 and only has 14,200 miles, so he says. Price is fairly low as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 AM

In changing states, they could have used the different word grey to describe silver. My state does not have silver as a color for autos.

Unless someone screwed with the odometer, you might just have a garage queen.

Do some more research, but chances are it's OK.

-jazzman
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 AM

I not concerned about the "grey" remark, more worried about someone screwing with the odometer, like you said. Also a little curious as to why there were no inspection reports or a report saying it was sold to a buyer in XXXXX. Thanks for the lightning fast response though!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM

I bought a MY 2001 S2000 in april with 49,000 miles on the clock from a Toyota dealer and I was amazed at how incomplete that carfax was. It certainly didn't give a very clear picture of past maintenance. I took it to the Honda dealer for a complete fluids flush and have had no problems at all. If you can take it to a dealer for an inspection that should ease your fears. I think Carfax's history is catch as catch can at best and is probably over sold and over hyped. Good luck, if you find one in good condition ownership is a wonderful experience!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM

Take a look at the condition of the car in general - a car with only 14k miles will only show a teeny bit of wear on the seats, steering wheels, sound/a/c control knobs.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Run an autocheck on it as well (I think my unlimited account is still active, so if you need one, let me know).
Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by smt1
Run an autocheck on it as well (I think my unlimited account is still active, so if you need one, let me know).
PM'd, thanks.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Hopefully meeting on Saturday to have someone trustworthy look at it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Mine had 19K on it when I bought it, BTW.

-jazzman
Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rosario717
Hey guys how are you? I currently own an ap2 and fortunately I'm also a salesperson with Honda for the past 8 years. As far as carfax goes its only as reliable as whats reported. If the car was in an accident but cops were never involved or it wasnt reported to an insurance company you wont see it on carfax at all.. Also carfax has only really become popular in about 2007 more or less so to my knowledge there was no such thing as carfax in 2001 at all so finding reliable info back then from carfax isnt really going to happen. You can check autocheck as well but it didnt exist either back then so you'll have to do a visual inspection on the car. Look for vin stickers on every removable part like bumpers,fenders,trunk ect. There should be minimal wear on the seat,steering wheel and the softop should look brand new cause with that low mileage the car was probably in doors. The tires should be stock summer tires but if you can bring a reliable technician with you that knows what to look for would be best. Best of all make sure the title matches up with the car as far as mileage too. Hope that helped.
Very good advice. I was going to say the same thing regarding Carfax... it can only know what has been reported to the DMV, police or some dealerships. There is no way for Carfax to know that shadetree mechanic Joe bought some parts from the local parts store for regular maintenance. As old as the car is, I would replace the tires regardless of the mileage because they harden and deteriorate over time. I go by a 6 year rule with tires and replace tires every 6 years regardless of mileage. It is not terribly uncommon to find S2ks with very low mileage because they are often bought as weekend toys.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Carfax is only as good as what gets reported. Visual and mechanical inspection of the car is your best bet. Also see if you can get the VIN and talk to your insurance company about a quote. Sometimes they pull up data about a car that might not be available elsewhere.

Check out https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...-a-used-s2000/ for things to look for, get a compression test if you can and make sure you give it a good test drive (listen to all the noises it makes).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Suspicious Carfax?