S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Third soft top frame/bar dropping?

Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Third soft top frame/bar dropping?

Third frame/bar drops to the top of the roll hoop

back part of the soft top sagging due to third frame/bar dropping

Where it should be

Where it normally used to be

where it drops
Got s2k on last December and my car has been problem-free as took care of all the preventive stuff when I got the car. However, I have been having soft top problems recently. The third soft-bar frame does not stay up and drops down and stays at the roll hoop. Also, this causes the rear glass to touch the roll hoop. I have 2001 S2k and the previous owner replaced the top only a few years before. Overall the top is in good condition but I don't what caused the frame to drop recently. Improper install when the previous owner got the top replaced?? or did I break something? I looked at the robins soft top replacement thread and it had second and third bar tied by a strap. But mine does not have that.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

There are springs and cables missing that pull the last bar up into position. Limited by the floppy strap visible along the side of the "sail" of the roof.

Look down from the patch past the flat frame bar and there's a coil spring peeking out. One on both sides. Got them? I don't see them.

And another photo.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-11-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Thanks, Chuck. I think that is what I am missing. I found one of the springs, could not find another. I get rattle from behind the soft top but can't find anything where the soft top sits. It could have fallen inside where spare tire sits. I assume it is possible to buy this part from Honda or after market. Do you know what this part is called exactly? just in case I can't find the other one.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 AM

Took a second cup of coffee but I found the parts. Parts 85 (Spring A) and 86 (Cover, Spring).

Link to site:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/v-2...soft-top-frame

I was mistaken about a cable, that's the tension cable over the window. Looks like just the spring and cover is what you need.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-12-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, might as well replace your elastic bands, given how droopy they are. Otherwise you'll be replacing the top again. I'm surprised yours are as stretched out as that after just a few years.

Modifry sells some that are very easy to install.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Sweet. Thank you so much Chuck!!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by cold.logic
Also, might as well replace your elastic bands, given how droopy they are. Otherwise you'll be replacing the top again. I'm surprised yours are as stretched out as that after just a few years.

Modifry sells some that are very easy to install.
Yep will be doing that as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Took a second cup of coffee but I found the parts. Parts 85 (Spring A) and 86 (Cover, Spring).

Link to site:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/v-2...soft-top-frame

I was mistaken about a cable, that's the tension cable over the window. Looks like just the spring and cover is what you need.

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck,
Got my part a week ago. I tried installing it today but I could not. Do you know if there is an easier way to anchor these spring?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:03 AM

No easy way I can determine with the roof fabric in place.

Pretty much a braille job. I recall I disconnected one spring several months ago (for some reason) and it took me quite a while to get it back on. I recall the front and cover need to be hooked first and then the spring pulled out to attach the rear. Ya need to force the bar forward so the spring isn't in tension like it is in the lower photo in Post #3 (above) Here's another photo of the spring placement before the fabric was installed. Note the spring is not under much tension as the bar is forward.

Folks who install roofs (like @2poor2mod ) may have constructive suggestions. They must have run across this problem before.

Please keep us informed of the solution.

-- Chuck
Old 08-12-2019, 05:59 PM

If anyone is having the same problem and stumbles upon this post. I was able to get the job done with slim long nose-pliers. Hook one end of the spring on the middle bar first. As chuck mentioned it is a braille job. Just feel the dent made for the hook by your fingers on the middle bar, once the spring hook is in place, use the pliers to grab the other hook of the spring and pull it and hook it to the third bar. It does take a good amount of strength.
The following 3 users liked this post by s2knew:
cold.logic (09-16-2020), dwb993 (08-21-2019), stock06 (08-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Third soft top frame/bar dropping?