S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Tire Changing Question (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/tire-changing-question-745312/)

FDfranklin 11-13-2009 08:47 AM

Tire Changing Question

Im fairly new to owning my s2000 and got my first flat with it today (2004 s2k), my question is do I need a tire key to get the tire off or am I just to much of a weakling to get the bolts loose? :ponder:

thomsbrain 11-13-2009 09:02 AM

Are you talking about the lug nuts?

FDfranklin 11-13-2009 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Nov 13 2009, 10:02 AM
Are you talking about the lug nuts?

Yes. I know I sound like a complete noob but ive never owned a car long enough that ive had to change a tire, that or luck. :tipwink:

patinum 11-13-2009 09:09 AM

If you have wheel locks on , then you'll need a key. A wheel lock will be completely round on the outside (not hexagonal like a regular lug nut).

If you have all regular lug nuts, then you'll probably have to strong arm it. Most shops will just take an impact wrench to tighten your lug nuts - which usually over-tightens them. The proper method is to use a torque wrench and torque to 80lb ft.

Every time I'm forced to take my car to the dealer or a shop and have the wheels taken off, I immediately undo and properly torque my wheels. At times, I'll have to use a long breaker bar to loosen them. You'll hear a creaking sound - evidence that they used an impact wrench and over-tightened.

Careful though because if you lug nut has been cross-threaded to the wheel stud, then you can end up sheering off the bolt. Not sure why I say careful because if it's crossthreaded you're SOL anyway. But getting a new wheel stud can be a pain in the ass. (Expensive because it involves taking apart the hub assembly which usually requires new wheel bearings).

dammitjim 11-13-2009 09:20 AM

If you have a regular six sided nut you don't need a key.

Try putting the wrench on the nut horizontal to the ground and then stand on the wrench.

CKit 11-13-2009 09:28 AM

Also keep in mind that the front and rear wheels are different.

FDfranklin 11-13-2009 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by patinum,Nov 13 2009, 10:09 AM
If you have wheel locks on , then you'll need a key. A wheel lock will be completely round on the outside (not hexagonal like a regular lug nut).

If you have all regular lug nuts, then you'll probably have to strong arm it. Most shops will just take an impact wrench to tighten your lug nuts - which usually over-tightens them. The proper method is to use a torque wrench and torque to 80lb ft.

Every time I'm forced to take my car to the dealer or a shop and have the wheels taken off, I immediately undo and properly torque my wheels. At times, I'll have to use a long breaker bar to loosen them. You'll hear a creaking sound - evidence that they used an impact wrench and over-tightened.

Careful though because if you lug nut has been cross-threaded to the wheel stud, then you can end up sheering off the bolt. Not sure why I say careful because if it's crossthreaded you're SOL anyway. But getting a new wheel stud can be a pain in the ass. (Expensive because it involves taking apart the hub assembly which usually requires new wheel bearings).

Thx for the info. I tried as hard as I could to get them undone with the wrench from the trunk but it just wasn't budging. Going to call triple a tomorrow and either have them change it or tow it into Honda.

dammitjim 11-13-2009 09:37 AM

You might get a better price from a tire shop vs Honda if all you need is a tire.

If you have a small puncture in the tread and not the sidewall, a plug or patch is a good solution. In fact, you could go pick up a small compressor for $20 and a plug kit iwth a rasp for $5 and potentially fix this yourself without removing the wheel.

RavynX 11-13-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by FDfranklin,Nov 13 2009, 01:31 PM
Thx for the info. I tried as hard as I could to get them undone with the wrench from the trunk but it just wasn't budging. Going to call triple a tomorrow and either have them change it or tow it into Honda.

Do you have a bar that you can slide over that lug wrench to get some more torque out of? The bar on my floor jack slides over the wrench easily if I need to take off heavily-torqued lugs or other items.

TookayS2K 11-13-2009 09:39 AM

lefty loosey, righty tighty??