S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

titanium vs. aluminum shift knob

Old 04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
ERC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default titanium vs. aluminum shift knob

I was wondering what the differences (aside from the material, of course) there are between the aluminum shift knob and the titanium one. Are they different sizes? Shapes? Does one fit 'lower'?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main difference is weight. When you ask what's the difference, I assume you mean between the stock ones. In that case, there is no real difference besides the weight (with titanium being lighter of course). If you are looking to lower your stock knob (aluminum and titanium are the same height), remove your shift knob and take off the nut and then replace your shift knob. It'll sit a little lower and make your throw just a little shorter.

I hope I answered your question. It was a little vague.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
ERC

That answered my question. Thanks!

Also, is there any difference in appearance? ... I don't know, I guess I mean the look of the metal?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by terd ferguson,Apr 5 2005, 07:23 PM
In that case, there is no real difference besides the weight (with titanium being lighter of course).
I believe the titanium is actually heavier. I would imagine that the momentum associated with the extra mass gives you a less notchy shift and a more positive feel. I have no first hand experience however, and would like to hear from someone who has tried both knobs if the titanium is actually worth it.

From Rick's site:

# Diameter magnum: 2.0"
# Titanium weight magnum: 284 grams
# Aluminum weight magnum: 175 grams
# Neck diameter magnum: .875

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:09 PM

I prefer the titanium for the weight and the appearance. It is a slightly different color. It also seems to be more resistant to scratches.

Billman250 drove my car this past weekend, noticed the Titanium knob and commented that he too liked its feel.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 PM

I have to agree, titanium is indeed more resistant to scratching.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:31 AM

well, this is the way i understand it.

titanium is a heavier material vs aluminum. BUT it is also stronger. so less of it is required to make a solid knob ending in a thinner lighter shift knob yet providing strength.

i have the spoon ti shifter, i love it. it is damn near weightless. i probably would have bought the AJ-R shifter, but it was not available at the time of my purchase.

the pros of titanium:

1. end result = a lighter shift knob.
2. changes temperature instantly. will go from burning hot to body temp, or from freezing cold to body temp much faster than aluminum because the titanium shifters are so thin, yet strong.

cons:
1. perhaps too light giving too much feedback than usual. it is a very light throw, so if you want some weight to absorb the shifting feedback, get aluminum.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Titanium has a much higher molecular weight than aluminum, so for a solid knob of the same shape and size, titanium will weigh more.

2. Both titanium and aluminum are rarely used in their elemental state and are often alloyed with other metals to imporve particular qualities such as strength.

3. Titanium (and its alloys) have a much higher tensile strength than aluminum (and its alloys), so products made from it require much less material to have the same strength.

4. Titanium is much harder to work than aluminum. I do not know of any titanium knobs that are worked to be lighter than their aluminum counterparts, since most people prefer a heavier knob anyway.

5. Titanium is more scratch resistant than aluminum, but the pearl finish on my aftermarket aluminum knob has been quite durable.

The main reason I installed an aftermarket aluminum VooDoo shift knob in both of my cars was that it fits my hand better, sits lower and feels better when shifting. A titanium VooDoo knob is heavier, and that may impart a better action than the lighter knob.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that I'd share this gem with you:

Posted by pdippell on Honda-Acura net. 26 january, 2000

In the expanding quest for ever more obsessive minutiae about the S2000, I humbly present: the comparative weights of the stock aluminum shift knob and the optional titanium shift knob. Having just received the titanium shift knob, I removed the aluminum one (not a one step procedure, but two, yet that is in and of itself a topic for a future post) and weighed them both on my wife's digital kitchen scale. For the sake of brevity, I will leave out the make, model and various atmospheric, gravitic and other influences on the scale, except to say that it has an accuracy of +/- 2.5 grams, and offer for your consideration the actual tested weight of these two particular specimens:

Aluminum knob: 150 grams (5.25 oz)
Titanium knob: 255 grams (9 oz)

This is a difference of almost 1/4 pound, an offensive amount that encumbers the HP:weight ratio of the S2000 by and additional 0.06%! It is quite clear, then, that installation of this optional knob would only be done by the shallowest of posers, dilettantes, even (yea verily shall I say it?) riceboys! After deep consideration of this empirically-based conclusion, and a close examination of my own morals and ethics, as well as those of the people whom I consider my friends and my business associates, and not leaving out the potential impact on my family and the reputation of my heirs, I felt I had no other choice than to....install it!
I know you are at this moment restraining yourself from clicking on "Post a Reply" to announce your resignation from this board, as you recoil in horror from the knowledge that you may have read previous posts from someone as vapid, degenerate and immoral as myself, but I urge you instead to channel your energies in a different direction, one that may offer me redemption and indeed may allow all of you to install the titanium shift knob and yet be free from moral apprehension or community approbation:
Go out and procure shift knobs from Boxsters (of the 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2 liter varieties), from M Roadsters, even from Corvettes, Elises and Caterham SuperSevens, procure them any way that you can, even in the dark of night, and send them to me. Send them to me and I will weigh them on the exact scale upon which I weighed the S2000 shift knobs, and we will see, no doubt, that Honda has planned ahead to rise supreme to even this trivial challenge, and save us from ignominy. For these non-S2000 shift knobs will be, I know it in my heart, heavier.
For God's sake, for my own and perhaps yours, do not delay!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 AM

Thanks Coral Doc. Intelligent, well written posts rule. I think the main differences are that the Ti knob is heavier and this gives a slightly more "positive feel" to the gear change... what ever that means. The other thing is that it looks cool. It's a little daker than the stock knob so I think it sits in the cabin a little more descreatly.

I would buy a used one if the price was reasonable. I wouldn't if I had to pay full retail price. Not worth it imo.

Quick Reply: titanium vs. aluminum shift knob