S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Touch up paint that doesn't match!

Old 10-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touch up paint that doesn't match!

Has anybody else out there realized that the Sebring Silver touch up paint doesn't match the color of their car?!

Ugggghhhh - I'm so frustrated. I had someone back in to my car last week, leaving two nice gouges in the back bumper. I decided to get some touch up paint from Honda to see if I could fix the damage to something I could live with. I got the so-called right paint (right color number & color name - even seems to look reasonably close). It's darker than the car color. I'm not even being picky here - unless you're practically blind, this does not "match up" in any way, shape or form.

Ok - done venting.....for now......

~Kim~
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Former Moderator

don't feel bad, neither does the silverstone metallic. I have a gash in my passenger door from some idiot, well I tried the touch up paint on a small nick on one of my fenders, and hmm, other than being a silver, it doesn't match either. So needless to say I left the gash in the door alone. No need to draw more attention with unmatching touch up paint.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa
, other than being a silver, it doesn't match either. So needless to say I left the gash in the door alone. No need to draw more attention with unmatching touch up paint.
Its not just Honda any Silver or heavy metallic color from XYZ car company is not going to match. There is no way putting paint on with a brush will get the metallic in the paint to stand the same way it does when being applied with a paint gun hence a bad color match. Silver paint and most metallic paints will change by day,temp,humidity and pressure when the paint is applied. You can take a panel off of one car and put it onto another and it will not match because of the variances in application.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Hoinda's touch up for New Formula Red doesn't match either, much darker than my car.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are brushing on paint and it will be much thicker than the sprayed on original paint. You may want to consider an air brush for small touch up applications, you will probably get a better result on color matching.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember Rick Hesel said he used an old model painting air brush with very good results. I believe he had to thin the pain however, since the model airbrush had smaller holes for the paint to come out of. Send him a PM for the details.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the problem you are having is something that is simply a characteristic of car paint in general. Even brand new cars of the same color direct out of the manufacturing facility can look different, if they were painted in different "batches." A pearl color (eg Spa Yellow) and metallic colors (Silverstone) are even harder to match, because the application method is a big factor in how the paint will look when it comes to pearls and metallics.

Best bet might be to just airbrush some paint on for now, then just get a full bumper repaint later.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just experienced the exact same problem. I bought some touch up paint from my local Honda dealership and got a bottle with CHNH552M on the cap, which besides the CH at the beginning is the correct paint code for the Sebring Silver. I applied a tiny bit with a toothpick and yes it is MUCH darker almost silverstone looking. What a drag.

Oh shit, didn't realized I'm resurrecting an OLD thread
Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep my GPW touch up paint from Honda didn't match either hahah.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought some Silverstone touch-up paint from handa-accessories.com to fix some nicks on the front bumper. Hasn't arrived yet, but maybe I should have bought Sebring instead if the touch-up paint is too dark as everyone says?

Quick Reply: Touch up paint that doesn't match!