S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Toying with a modded CRX on The Cape

Old 03-18-2001, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, our Cape Cod meet Saturday went quite well, I believe...especially considering I asked a cutie we all met on the beach to join us for the ride, and she said "yeah!"

Well, I was taking the adorable thing back to the Cape today and came across a silver CRX on SR28. I gently passed by at 80, which put the few cars left on the road behind the both of us. Next thing I know I hear a grumble of an engine and the CRX starting to get bigger in my rearview.

He cruises by at maybe 85-90, I see a perfectly clear road for miles and figure, what the hell. I drop to fifth (yeah, only fifth) and punch it, but he was already a good distance off...I close the distance quickly, but never passed him. He hits the brakes, slides by, and my...ahem, passenger swaps thumbs up with him and his friend.

He gets ahead again, we're now back to 75ish, holds there for a while, then lets me get even again. I give him a personal thumbs up to say at least he has a reasonable runner, and before I know it he punches it again. Well, crap, I was handing something to my passenger, so I couldn't downshift quick enough, and when I did, it was into fourth (should've popped the damn thing into third for a good VTEC range). He pulled on me hard for a few seconds until VTEC kicked in. At that point I was making up lost time FAST.

By the time I hit 110, he popped the brakes and took an exit...but I was even with him again in short order. If it had been a fair start I would've whooped him bad.

Ten minutes later we're at a gas station and guess who pulls up next to me? He transplanted a B16A, lowered it, rims, air filter, yadda yadda yadda...all around nice kid. Said he's always wanted to come upon an S2000 to see what they could do...said he lost some trim back on the freeway, so that's why he took the exit...he was putting it back on as we talked <LOL>

Soooo, I suppose I gave a poor showing for us as a whole, but I think he knew who was the boss in the end. He may have been in the lead most of the time, but Michelle didn't waste any time chasing him down.

Not a true spanking, but a fair warning
Old 03-18-2001, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a related note up here in thawing New England...

I was driving on Storrow Drive today and up comes a lowered Integra GSR with a huge exhaust. I was in no mood to compete and good thing I didn't. It turned out that as he whizzed past me for the 2nd and 3rd times (he would slow down in the left lane for me to catch up at regular speed), I could here his wastegate when he shifted - that was a turbocharged car - I would estimate about 250-270 hp.
Old 03-18-2001, 03:58 PM

Don't underestimte those CRX's. My '89 Si with only bolt-ons is almost as quick as my stook if poorly driven. Regular 15.1 sec. 1/4 mile passes at Lebanon Valley Dragway. Massive wheelspin, but it does much better on top end. My brother with his slightly slower '91 Si beat an early 1980's N/A 911 on the highway just saturday. Several runs from 70 to about 110, and he was slightly pulling on him. Rummor is the guys in the P car were quite upset. (it was modded too, rollbar and exhaust at least).
The CRX was prepped to CSP spec for SCCA auto-X, and in that field it is faster than a properly driven S2000, just not as much fun.

[Edited by Frank on 03-18-2001 at 05:31 PM]
Old 03-18-2001, 04:22 PM

My 91 Si has a JDM B16 in it... probably a low low 15 car. Never tracked it as drag is not really my cup of tea. properly driven the s2k is faster.

-Shing
Old 03-18-2001, 04:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Hold on MacGyver! You said you were going back there today? Did you not drop off that "cutie" at her place after you left? Or was that a different passenger?!

Its good fun to play with the civics hu?
Old 03-18-2001, 06:16 PM

Pinky: Yep, today Not including the ride itself, I think I put about 500 miles on Michelle this weekend...Although I think I have the Cape trip down from abode to abode in about an hour She LOVES Michelle, even honoring her by not saying "let's get in the CAR" but "let's get in Michelle", she even said hello to Michelle when we came into the garage this morning...isn't that just too adorable? <snicker> She's addicted to the power...trying to tempt the cars I pass into racing us...she just HAD to have the top down everywhere we went, even though she was freezing.

Frank: The kid had the petal to the metal, and after I got MY ass in gear (and Michelle's) I was eating up the distance in a heartbeat. He also mentioned he had the Japanese speed limiter, so he was stuck to under 112 mph...soon to be replaced. I'm kind of glad I didn't totally whomp him...he had some fun. I suppose there's no need to shut someone down just because you can. I think he knew I could spank him if I really wanted to, so he had to try as hard as possible to at least make a good showing. I'd say he did pretty well for himself.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:59 PM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Pinky: Yep, today
Old 03-18-2001, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always beware the CRX. Light (sub 2200 lbs at the worst, sub 2000 at the best), aerodynamic (0.31 Cd), cheap and easy to mod. Best place to get em with the S2K is at high speeds, or with a hard launch. Still prefer the S2k though.

UL
(14.003@97.93 on steel wheels last time at the track in my CRX)
Old 03-19-2001, 07:03 AM

Pinky: OK, before the rumors go too far, I'll settle this one quickly...she slept on the couch. Does that make you feel better? Sheesh, what kind of scum do you think I am...uhm, don't answer that
Old 03-19-2001, 09:26 AM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Pinky: OK, before the rumors go too far, I'll settle this one quickly...she slept on the couch.

Quick Reply: Toying with a modded CRX on The Cape