S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Valve Adjustment: observed difference?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment: observed difference?

I have a 2005 s2k with 32,000 miles. This weekend I had my valves adjusted to the tighest end of spec. I read on this site that people are observing a noticable improvement in performance. People [on this site] say that adjusting the valves to the tightest end of spec will retarde power on the low end of the tach and improve performance in the high end of the power band.

I took my s2k, post adjustment, on the high way to test out my engine. I noticed a change that is in-line with what I read on this site. However, a "noticable improvement in performance" is too strong of a phrase to describe my experience. In fact, I am questioning if I am experiencing a placebo effect, so to speak. Am I noticing a positive change in performance because I am expecting to observe it? I understand that only a pre & post dyno run will give me a definative answer, but I am not going to pay to have this done. Instead, I would like to know the opinions of others who had their valves adjusted. Did you notice a difference?

One thing I am 100% sure of, is that the engine is significantly smoother. The engine certainly feels and sounds better through out the RPM band. 5k-redline is where I notice the postive change, in feel and sound, to the greatest extent.

If anyone out there is thinking of adjusting their valves I would recomend it. In fact, I plan on have it done again at 65,000 miles. I would like to hear your [fellow s2k owners] opinions.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM

yeah once i got my valve adjustment at about 30k I noticed the engine ran a little smoother, but thats it. no increase in power or anything. but that wasnt expected.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its in your head...difference is very small. The biggest difference is a smoother quieter idle.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Downgear,Oct 1 2007, 02:29 PM
Its in your head...difference is very small. The biggest difference is a smoother quieter idle.
And you only get a quieter idle because the valves are no longer tapping. For a valve adjustment to cause any, much less a noticable change in performance, the valves would have to be way, way, way out of spec, and this doesn't happen naturally.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

I got my first valve adjustment done at 152k miles (this past saturday)...and I can tell a HUGE difference. Runs much smoother, idles better, vtec feels nice again.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM

I should have found out if any of my valves where out of spec when I had it done. I assume that some of those who observed a significant improvement might have had out of spec valves prior to adjusting. I would like that with 30k miles that none were out of spec though.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Smoother idle.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 PM

yeah i got mine Free at Ganley Honda
won a raffle during the Annual Ohio, Route 26 event (brags lol jk)

but i got to watch and see wat happend.
the mechanic was very good and told me it should be done about every 15k
because the aluminum engines have such high temperatures, everything tends to fly off spec rather quickly (in a sentence or less)

but its not a big deal, like everyone else stated
i noticed

*idles better, really purrs
*revs under Vtec sound very percise and controlled
*Vtec sounds more controlled, no longer sloppy out of control (nice and droning now) feels like it can focus its power
(i think i noticed a lil bit more power from Vtec too, but i thot it was just me)

all in all, id say it was very worth it! (lol Free haha)
i think it usually runs about $200
and absolutely make sure, that they let the engine cool to the lowest point. so once u take it in there, theyll prolly remove the valve cover and have a fan on it for atleast an hour or more.

my car is a 2000 and it was done at bout 24k miles on it
and its still purring like a kitty at 26k. the valve adjustment helps it feel like a practically new car again.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are adjusted every other spring, so about every 10k miles. Considering it gets so much track use, this is a wise thing, valve adjustments are very important to say the least...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 AM

I have an 01 and have never had the valves adjusted. 31k miles. Car runs very smooth, but I don't drive it super hard either. How much does the dealership typically charge for this adjustment?

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment: observed difference?