S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What audio system do you have in your S2K? Why?

Old 12-25-2002, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What audio system do you have in your S2K? Why?

I've had my S2K for 2 months now. It's tough to hear the stock radio when the tops down at 70+ mph.

1) What upgrade systems have you guys been putting into your cars? (please mention price)

2) How do I choose a system?

3) Are all sound systems compatible with the physical dimensions of the S2K and how can I determine of a system is compatible? (I have very little knowledge in this area)

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-25-2002, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check my sig. lucid audio (see marketplace and site sponsors on home page) is a good place to start. his kenwood rear speakers add a lot of sound. there is also a great deal of info.

you need to figure out how far youwant to take this. i just wanted a bit more sound (i added 30 watts per channel) and better speakers. some have suggested that instead of adding a new thief tempting head unit that a well hidden amplifier tied to the oem head unit is a better alternative. it also gaurantees that your dashboard controls will continue to work.

there are plenty of threads on this board that show selection and installation processes that should also help. many have taken the upgrades much farther than mine and add even more amplification as well as subwoofers. check the search function for more info.

good luck, have fun and don't go broke. you will be amazed at how much you can spend on this.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:21 AM

Thanks for writing. I am leaning toward the well hidden amp, or adding rear speakers to solve my slight "not enough sound" problem.

1) Can a new head unit can improve sound volume and quality

2) What does the head unit do for your speakers?

3) What if I want to keep the stock head unit?

Thanks all for replying
Old 12-25-2002, 10:27 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I installed Lucid's rear speakers (3 way Kenwood) and upgraded the door speakers with Kenwood 1687 (3 way) speakers. I kept the stock head unit. The difference was amazing. There is more sound and better sound.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Alpine headunit (CDA-7875) with an Alpine amp in the trunk. Infiniti Kappa Components in the doors/tweeters. Kenwood speakers in the back (like Lucid's). Works great for me.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:30 AM

Add 3 12's and you will not only hear the music but you can feel it too. J/J

I think rear speakers and a 4 channel amp is the best way to go. If you think an aftermarket head unit sounds good, wait until you add a good amplifier to power those speakers.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Former Moderator

Kwando, I just visited your PhotoAlbum and those screens in the visor are very cool! Nice work man!
Old 12-26-2002, 02:23 PM

I just got a pair of Kenwood 3-way rear speakers from Lucid's site for Christmas . I'm far from being an "audiophile", but I think they are a great solution for the "not enough sound" problem. I can't tell you what they sound like with the top down at 70+ mph (since it's frickin' freezing outside ), but now I can crank the volume up without the music being distorted. I kept the oem head unit and front speakers (I have a 2002).
Old 12-26-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Weight of the system is also a major concern. The s2k handles the way it does because of its low weight. If you end up with 300+ pounds worth of subs, amps, and dynamat, don't expect the car to handle the way it used to. You may want to go with a setup that's easily removable, for track days and such.

Here's where I put my amp. It's removable for track days...
Old 12-26-2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by LostWaffle
What audio system do you have in your S2K? Why?
I have a stock system, thanks for asking. Why? Because the car came with it, haven't ever had a disappointing drive yet.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/forumdisplay.ph...p?s=&forumid=26

Quick Reply: What audio system do you have in your S2K? Why?