S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What to do about my Muffler/Exhaust?

Old 06-21-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about my Muffler/Exhaust?

I just wanted some advice about what to do.

So lemme explain the situtation. I damaged my rear muffler and exhaust pipe about a week ago on my MY00, long story but it is pretty well done on the drivers side, other side appears fine.

I took it to a shop and they are supposed to repair it next week. They are not yet sure what they will have to do to it, replace the system exc. However, since the exhaust is a soild part from the cat back, if they have to replace it, it costs arround $500 to replace, however they were saying that aftermarket exhaust could be cheaper.

Now, if I were to just replace the exhaust from the cat back with an aftermarket one, correct me if I'm wrong but all that would do is be loud right? Almost no preformance gain would occur (?). However, I was thinking since I have this oppurtunity mabye I will just replace the whole system with something to inhance preformance, since they have to do the work anyway. I really like the "stock" look of the exhaust and don't really want to lose that, but preformace gain would be welcome. The other thing is a S2k is loud as hell as it is, so I am not looking for a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa a sound coming from my tail pipe. What if anything would you do in my shoes? Any advice would be gladly accepted.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Talk to AHHVTEC, aka Duc at Spugen. He does a great job at helping people find the right exhaust for their S and if you want another stock exhaust I'm sure he has a tone of those laying around
Old 06-21-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fujitsubo is generally one of the quietest dual tip exhausts that you can "affordably" get for the S2k. You will see a small amount of performance improvement from getting an aftermarket exhaust.

Spugen makes excellent exhausts, all of the models that I have personally heard have been pretty loud but the quality is very good.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Avi

you can go to the market place an buy a used one for $250 or less
Old 06-21-2004, 06:47 PM

There are a few dual systems that have showed small gains 2-3 hp. Being that the F20C has only one bank of cylinders, you will yield more power with a single outlet, 5-6 hp.

My S isn't loud until I'm at 6,000 rpm or higher. With a single outlet, it will be considerably louder but that is the con for a performance increase.

If you don't want your S to be loud, you may as well go with a stock setup as I think the stock setup sounds awesome.

If you do decide to go with the performance route, consider the TR1 single outlet exhaust. I have heard it personally and it sounds just phenomenal. I will be getting a TR1 for my S soon. The TR1 doesn't drone like some of the other exhaust's do.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Do you know where I might find the fujitsubo exhaust?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:10 PM

Also, if I am just looking for a replacement from everything past the Cat is Spugen the only one that makes that replacement, or are there some others?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 PM

There are a million replacement cat back systems for this car.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:44 PM

I don't want to replace the cat, as far as I've read most systems, save Spugen replace it. Isn't that correct?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by S2Kasey
Also, if I am just looking for a replacement from everything past the Cat is Spugen the only one that makes that replacement, or are there some others?
There are tons of companies that make replacement "cat-back" exhausts. Cat-back means just that, everything after the cat but not including the cat itself.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, I can think of these companies that make cat-back exhausts for this car:

Comptech
Apex
Amuse
Fujitsubo
RS*R
Invidia
Mugen
Spoon
J's Racing
Veilside
Magnaflow

I'm know there are more but you get the picture. They come in many flavors of single and dual outlet with singles typically being lighter and having more potential to increase power although most of the gains are slim from any exhaust (unless you're running forced induction) in this car.

Quick Reply: What to do about my Muffler/Exhaust?