S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What do stook owners think of Z3's?

Old 12-08-2000, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over in the "Porsche owners are snobs" thread, what stook owners think of Boxsters has been knocked around a bit.

I have read several Z3 threads on the Boxster Board, so I was curious what the stook owners of the world thought about the Z3? The friend of mine that bought an stook was looking at Z3s (just a bit), but decided for the Honda.

Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2000, 10:16 AM

Received 712 Likes on 482 Posts

I considered a Z3 but the 2.3 was not a good performer, the 2.8 was ok and the M to me is the only one that compares to the Stook and costs more. They are a little more refined on the interior but the leather seats are poor quality as my neighbor has one and the seats are awful looking as he had had it for about a year. The trunk seems smaller, cant get my clubs in it with the power top (which BTW is extra)and they fit fine in stook. Seems like a lot of extras which are included with stook. I raced an M on a short twisty road and it was close but I was pulling away. He stopped and asked how I liked it as he had not seen a stook and was very friendly and complimentary.I hear they are putting in more power for 01 but the model is somewhat dated and in need of a major change. Just my $.02.QUOTE]Originally posted by BoxsterBoy:

Over in the "Porsche owners are snobs" thread, what stook owners think of Boxsters has been knocked around a bit.

I have read several Z3 threads on the Boxster Board, so I was curious what the stook owners of the world thought about the Z3? The friend of mine that bought an stook was looking at Z3s (just a bit), but decided for the Honda.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Old 12-08-2000, 10:20 AM

My last car was a Z3 1.9 and having driven my S2k for a year I can honestly say that it was all show and no go. I had the original version before the awful rear was added. Its aged chassis soon became apparent and as time went on even the rarity value went as the streets became flooded with them.

The rarity of the S2K makes the owning experience so much special.

I also found that as an owner I was made to feel that it was aprivilige for me to deal with BMW not the reverse it should be . I am really taken care of by my family run Honda dealer.

It will take something very special to ever make me buy a BMW or a German car again.
Old 12-08-2000, 10:26 AM

IMO...they are ugly(just my opinion). I cant quite put my finger on it, but I think the boxster is better looking and I dont really like the boxster all that much...
Old 12-08-2000, 10:30 AM

I'll have to agree with that..they are too outdated now..There's just something about them that turns me away from them..when they first came out they were pretty nice but now there are way too many of them and they are slow to boot..except the M maybe, there quite quick but still they have the same body..certainly doesn't get the looks our cars do..
Old 12-08-2000, 10:35 AM

Don't like the looks of them, even the M.
Old 12-08-2000, 10:36 AM

I considered the Z3 because my wife liked it.
However, when I have to drive it, I will look like a fag being one of the um...3% male z3 drivers.
Anyway, I found that out later when I fail to encounter male Z3 drivers.
At the time, I thought it was the ugliest car ever built. It was considered because it was very cheap to lease and my wife had no problem with the styling.
Luckily I didn't get it, my wife is having so much fun with the stook's engine and attention. Z3 was just a child that should've never been born. It really drags down BMW's image. It can neither run fast nor handle well. I really can't find anything good to say about it. m roadster has a nice looking wide butt and good power at the very least....but Z3.....
I said it before and I will say it again.
I'd rather have a MR2 or miata than a Z3 or TT roadster.
I would take SLK any day too if I couldn't get my hands on the stook.
Old 12-08-2000, 10:38 AM
Sev

The M series performance wise is a very close comaprison to the stook and the boxster S. It happens to be a "dog" on the highway though because of bad aerodynamicity.

Old 12-08-2000, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't like the styling at first, but it grew on me over the years.
I kinda like their low doors; make the car feels much more open.

Ditto on its performance.
Old 12-08-2000, 10:44 AM

A friend has a Z3 3.0i, which I have driven.

It's got more torque down low, smooth power, but doesn't have the "wow" factor that the S2000 has from 6000 to 9000 RPM. The shifter feels big and sloppy by comparison, but is really pretty good.

The ride is smoother, the handling good, but less precise. I prefer the go-kart feel of the S2000, but I'm sure lots of people would prefer the Z3 for more comfort. For me, the steering and handling of the S2000 is the biggest difference, much more connected and immediate than the Z3.

He got the sport package, which includes good seats, very well bolstered. About even here.

The stereo is much better than the S2000's.

Overall, I like the S2000 interior better: the high-tech, minimalist look appeals to me (Rick's leather shift boot and console covers help a lot here). But the Z3 interior is nice, good quality materials.

I also prefer the S2000 body style to the Z3, more mean and less toy-like.

Ted

Quick Reply: What do stook owners think of Z3's?