S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what does the immobilizer do?

Old 03-21-2001, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me that an alarm wouldn't help me much above what the immobilizer does in regards to the stook being stolen. Can anyone clarify how it works? I was told that the only way to steal the car is to tow it...
Old 03-21-2001, 12:35 PM

If I remember correctly, if the stock alarm is activated, it immobilizes the fuel system
Old 03-21-2001, 12:37 PM

Guy who had his CL Type S stolen said the immobilizer works with the car's ECU. The thief just replaced the ECU with his own and drove off with the car. Is that possible?
Old 03-21-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I understand it the immobilizer system consists of two things. A receiver/transponder that identifies the code in the ignition key and sends to the ECM, and the ECM circuit that tests the code against the valid codes that are learned by the ECM. If there is no match there is no fuel (and probably ignition) to the engine.

Basically you cannot start the car without a key that has been programmed into the ECM.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:45 PM

1Y2KS2K, I don't have a factory alarm. It still cuts the fuel line, right?
Old 03-21-2001, 12:47 PM

Your key has a chip imbedded in it that is recognized and enables the car to start. No chip, no start. This feature is independent of any alarm system. If the above ECU story is true, were I a thief I think I would flatbed the car away before changing out the ECU to get it started.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:50 PM

Don't give them any ideas.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help... any recommendations on an alarms system? I work at a Best Buy and can get a good deal on any Viper alarm, but I'm open to other suggestions...
Old 03-21-2001, 01:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[rant] Bleah, alarms suck. Nobody pays any attention to them unless it's been going off endlessly late at night. Then there are the alarms that get set off by thunder or rain(!)...very useful. My personal favorites are the ones with the proximity detectors that yell at you if you just walk by the frickin' thing: "Viper system activated. Please step away from the car." Grrrr, they make me want to kick the tire out of pure spite . IMHO, the only thing to make an alarm actually useful is to attach it to your cell/pager so that it calls you when the alarm goes off. Then you receive notice when something happens, and you don't piss off everyone around you with false alarms. [/rant] Save the $$$ and buy a V1, or a supercharger, or some Kumhos or something .
Old 03-21-2001, 04:49 PM

Honda built in a very good defensive system by incorporating that security chip in the key. The question you should ask yourself before investing in a second alarm system is: How many times have you heard of an S2K owner having his/her car stolen? Personally, I haven't heard of one. Now, if you want to deter someone stealing your radio, or contents of the glove box (or even just getting in the car), you might want to consider adding an interior alarm. It won't save your top from being slashed, but it might scare off a potential intruder from doing any further damage to your interior.

Quick Reply: what does the immobilizer do?