S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what front grill insert should i buy?

Old 01-15-2002, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what front grill insert should i buy?

i'm a new s2000 owner and looking for board guidance on front grill inserts. i've seen the grills from coastal metals, one of our sponsors, but want to what else is available, and what folks like. so...

- what are the choices?
- which mfrs do you like?
- what are prices like for various models?
- can you guys provide some links or pics?

thanks, marc
Old 01-15-2002, 11:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It sorta depends on the reason why you want one. Is it for looks? Is it for protection of the stuff behind it? As far as I know, there is the one that a board member made for himself and anybody else who asked (this was early in the forum's history). There's the one by Coastal Metals and there's one by Grill Craft. The Coastal Metals one is much easier to install and is a board sponsor. Go to the sponsor list and you can see this one. Grill Craft is at grillcraft.com (I think). The first one no longer is obtainable. Myself, I wanted something to protect the A/C cannister and the rad so I made my own bug/stone mesh out of 2mm mesh nylon bug screen and installed it just inside the stock grill. From a distance of more than a few feet, you can't see the A/C thing at all.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:16 PM

www.wetworksgarage.com

They seem to make some pretty cool custom grills.

They made a custom grill for my friend's S4. Max Power mag did a story on his S4 on chipping and exhaust. It'll also be in the new Euro Tuner so you'll probably be able to see the new grill in there. I'll also try to get some pics soon.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Myself, I wanted something to protect the A/C cannister and the rad so I made my own bug/stone mesh out of 2mm mesh nylon bug screen and installed it just inside the stock grill.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:15 AM

In my opinion, leave the OEM factory grill alone ... It looks the best and provides maximum air intake into the airbox chamber.

Old 01-16-2002, 03:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a grill, there is no doubt in my mind: get Axcilla's (Coastal Metals). It's far superior to the others.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]If you buy a grill, there is no doubt in my mind: get Axcilla's (Coastal Metals).
Old 01-16-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by bumper

Xviper,

I was thinking of doing the same with mine. Where did you get the 2mm mesh material? Did you attach it with black nylon ties to the inside of the stock grill, or further back just in front of the radiator? What about using regular window screen material . . . too restrictive?

thanks,
The mesh stuff is a sort of nylon/fiberglass woven material and can be found in an "outdoor" fabric store. It is used to make bug protective clothing and bug shelters. PM me if you have trouble finding some. Smaller than 2mm mesh might present an engine cooling issue. I have had no problems with this size (I've done temperature recordings with and without it on). It fits just in front of the rad and A/C stuff and is held on with the slanted air channel just in front of and above the rad. The weight of the material keeps it hanging in place. Here are some pics to show you what I mean:

Old 01-16-2002, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info. Still have questions since I intend to make a front license plate bracket. The bracket will have a "axle" below plate mid-line. This will allow it to pivot at speed. I know others have made hinged brackets that work similarly, but mine will be different. In order to make it work, I'll have to cut out part of the stock grill behind the plate to give the plate clearance to rotate to horizontal. So . . .

Does the Coastal Metal grill replace the factory grill or go in front or in back of it?

tks
Old 01-16-2002, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by integrate
[B]www.wetworksgarage.com

They seem to make some pretty cool custom grills.

They made a custom grill for my friend's S4.

Quick Reply: what front grill insert should i buy?