S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what are hondas s2000 thoughts?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
True enough. As long as they don't make one with a rear facing back seat like my parents had in the very early 80's (some Oldsmobile station wagon with wood grain). I'm sure all of the drivers appreciated me staring at them and making faces.
Hell yes, Mercedes still offers the rear facing third row

I think having it in an E63S wagon would be most excellent, imagine trying to peel your face of the back window after going 0-60 in 3 secs
Old 06-02-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Our S2000s are hardly "minimalist." Not with power steering, power anti-lock brakes, traction control, stability control, power roof, air conditioning, etc. Gotta go back to the 1950s for minimalist roadsters (vs our convertibles). Once the Healey 3000, MGA, and TR4 arrived with roll-up windows and roofs and roof frames attached to the body we moved radically away from minimalist. If ya want minimalist get a new rolling chassis Lotus Seven clone and slide your engine of choice into it. Doors? Fenders? Windows or roof? Who needs these?.

-- Chuck
Yea, this is my perspective as well. Although I do think of the old english roadsters from the 60s as pretty darn minimalist. When I decided to get back into a sports car at age 65 or so my first instinct was to find a good old english roadster, maybe a Healey or an MGA or the like. That is where my roots are from my youth. But, when I started actually sitting in them, I quickly realized that I might be better off with something plush and modern and trouble free. It seems my dimensions have increased a bit and I have turned soft. I ended up buying the S. Not because it is "minimalist." Just the opposite, to me the S is a modern and very plush version of the old english sports cars from my youth. I don't think there will ever be another car that satisfies my sports car itch like the S does. That is one reason I own two. I fear it will be next to impossible to find an S that meets my narrow criteria in the not to distant future. Their are only so many left that meet my criteria. They are dropping like flies. I want my own personal supply stashed away.

It honestly does surprise me that there is not a sufficient market to support a car like this. But, that is clearly the case.

Last edited by rpg51; 06-02-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I think I get how the minimalist label was intended when it comes to the S2000 as compared to it's contemporaries.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
My fear would be the new S2k would have to be some sort of heavy, feature burdened, over nannied car, likely with some very expensive hybrid drivetrain ... and that is just garbage compared to what the S2k was. The S2k was a no frills, sport minded car. Not as minimalistic as it could have been, but certainly built around the idea of keeping weight down, weight balance good and handling a high priority.
I'd say that's a fair assessment. If another S2000 is developed, it will never be as raw as it's predecessor. Too many government regulations and safety standards are in place today to give us the vehicle we know. Plus the buyer today is not the same buyer of 15 years ago.

If the S2000 were to be announced today, it would probably be powered by either the 2.0 or 1.5 turbo, have the auto rev matching like in the Type R, and be chock full of electronic nannies. IMO there won't be one, at least for the foreseeable future. For Honda to invest such capital in a new platform is highly unlikely. Especially when you look at the constraints in the market/industry (expenses and profitability); the auto industry is flat and is tapering out. Car companies see the writing on the wall. We probably will have a "market correction" in the near future. I fear that currently, most people that buy cars today are being placed into auto loans that they can't afford, much like the housing market in 2008. Long terms, and interest rates... People want the lowest payment possible, they don't think about the equity that they may have in the vehicle (or lack thereof) 5 years down the road.

With the climate of the industry in mind, auto manufacturers are looking to save money and maximize profitability. The product life cycle of a sports car like the S2000 is about 8 years or so. Once everyone that wants one buys one, the market dries up. Honda would probably rather invest in profitable CUVs and SUVs. I'm sure only reason we even see the Type R in the states is because Honda developed the Civic as a global platform (cost savings).

Just my two cents.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Granted most S2000's lack traction control/stability control, but Honda fixed that. The fifty nine (59) S2000s imported to North America without air conditioning (or radios) are hardly unworthy of mention.

-- Chuck
Old 06-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
True enough. As long as they don't make one with a rear facing back seat like my parents had in the very early 80's (some Oldsmobile station wagon with wood grain). I'm sure all of the drivers appreciated me staring at them and making faces.
Well that was the best part of sitting there as a kid :P
Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Wagon.....hate to burst someone's bubbles!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

If you want to really go back to the minimalist era, start thinking about horses and chariots.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The few times I pull into Dealer land to snag some part (Have 4 Hondas) the salesmen come out to look and drool. They all comment that they wish Honda made something like the S today.
Originally Posted by NNY S2k
^^^^Same here.
Levi
Sorry. I avoid dealerships like the plague.

Can't blame a salesguy for wanting something sporty to sell or at least look at while selling SUVs and trucks.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Shame we can't get the S660 here...Seems like a neat little car. I thought talk was that there was another s2000 in the works based on the s660 platform? I could be way off as I haven't researched the subject in a while. It seems like Mazda has sold quite a few of their new MX5s. I could see an offering from Honda with the Type R 2.0T carried over performing well. Probably just wishful thinking from an enthusiast standpoint.