S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   what's was the point for honda? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/whats-point-honda-402421/)

dyhppy 07-06-2006 12:30 AM

what's was the point for honda?

i often wonder why honda bothered to make this car. it took a good amount of unique work, research and engineering-it sells for a pretty low price, the public probably won't give it the credit it deserves, most of the cars are falling to the wayside as i see some old MY in used car lots soaking up sun for pathetic prices. some say it was for honda to prove they could. that just doesn't seem to hold enough water. in the end, it just seems that it takes a truly dedicated enthusiast to appreciate this machine. for a company, it's either about that or making money.

if it were up to me, i wouldn't have made this car.

Avernus 07-06-2006 12:34 AM

hater. =P

SpitfireS 07-06-2006 02:27 AM

Honda makes Civic's and Accords to make money.
And then they spend it (almost) all on NSX's and S2000's :thumbup:

Lionheart 07-06-2006 03:11 AM

As far as I know, they made it to prove the world what they were capable of in the beginning of the 21st century. And that was and still is now quite something! Thank God they did make it, otherwise we all would be driving something else, and I am giving no names here :p

Alexis 07-06-2006 03:12 AM

[QUOTE=dyhppy,Jul 6 2006, 12:30 AM]i often wonder why honda bothered to make this car.

Filthy Beast 07-06-2006 03:34 AM

Honda started off as a racing company, the car makes perfect sense to me.

dyhppy 07-06-2006 03:34 AM

first of all, im not complaining in the least. i am an owner and LOVE every minute of it. but all those warm and fuzzy sentiments about honda doing it for the love and the pleasure of the enthusiast sounds naive. honda does f1 stuff because of advertising, not to mention that have many sponsors.

this mostly started because i feel like this machine is the result of lots of hard work. that it's underpriced, undervalued and misunderstood by most of the world. and it really gets me when i see the beat up one on the used car lot.

if i were to go through the trouble of building a masterpiece, i wouldn't let any doofus have it to mistreat it, etc. i'd want it to be loved and respected. you can say many things about the nsx, but they are respected, mostly because of the price.

Vitt 07-06-2006 04:44 AM

[QUOTE=dyhppy,Jul 6 2006, 03:34 AM]that it's underpriced, undervalued and misunderstood by most of the world.

Hockey 07-06-2006 04:58 AM

You DO come up with some of the most random posts. ;)

However you gave me cause to dig out my "Honda S2000" book by Daniel F. Carney so I could find an official quote for you.......

"The development goal of the S2000 was to create a sportscar that embodies Honda's challenging spirit.........We wanted to design a car that gives sheer driving pleasure. The design goals were to create a car with state-of-the-art technology, innovation and sporty handling, and to create a car that brings the pleasure of driving to a wider audience of sportscar enthusiasts."

That just about sums it up, but I will add a few points.

1. The car was developed as a 50th anniversary celebration of Honda.

2. The S500 was Honda's first car, so how fitting that an updated version be re-introduced for the anniversary.

3. Honda wanted to bring their F1 technology to the street (highest hp/liter.....F1 inspired tach.... push-button start.....bare-bones interior for the more serious driver.

4. Classic roadster touches meaning, long nose/short rear deck, rear wheel drive (for Honda??? - yup), 6-speed which I think was Honda's first, balanced weight distribution for optimal handling.

5. There was a growing market with the popularity of the Miata, Z3, Boxster, and SLK...that Honda saw good sales potential.

I could go on. Think I like this car?!?!? :D

-Hockey

wildcardtrd 07-06-2006 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 6 2006, 08:58 AM
You DO come up with some of the most random posts. ;)

However you gave me cause to dig out my "Honda S2000" book by Daniel F. Carney so I could find an official quote for you.......

"The development goal of the S2000 was to create a sportscar that embodies Honda's challenging spirit.........We wanted to design a car that gives sheer driving pleasure. The design goals were to create a car with state-of-the-art technology, innovation and sporty handling, and to create a car that brings the pleasure of driving to a wider audience of sportscar enthusiasts."

That just about sums it up, but I will add a few points.

1. The car was developed as a 50th anniversary celebration of Honda.

2. The S500 was Honda's first car, so how fitting that an updated version be re-introduced for the anniversary.

3. Honda wanted to bring their F1 technology to the street (highest hp/liter.....F1 inspired tach.... push-button start.....bare-bones interior for the more serious driver.

4. Classic roadster touches meaning, long nose/short rear deck, rear wheel drive (for Honda??? - yup), 6-speed which I think was Honda's first, balanced weight distribution for optimal handling.

5. There was a growing market with the popularity of the Miata, Z3, Boxster, and SLK...that Honda saw good sales potential.

I could go on. Think I like this car?!?!? :D

-Hockey

Every point I was about to make you just made for me :)