S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Where is the S2000 market right now?

Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Where is the S2000 market right now?

Up? Down? Stable?

The S2000 market has always been interesting, because it does not follow the traditional used car depreciation schedule. As I consider selling my baby, I have been looking around on cl and Autotrader. Anecdotally, I would say it seems a little down, with plenty of ap1 and early ap2s selling for less then 15k. However condition and mileage vary widely.

If if you are buying or selling, or just looking, what is your take in the current S2k market?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the S2k market weird. S2k owners (and dealers that are trying to sell them too) that have very low mileage examples, most often than not, want ridiculous amounts of money for them. Then majority of the potential buyers (NOT ALL) don't want to pay even blue book for the car. From my observation, there's a big disconnect between buyers and sellers in terms of what price they want to buy/sell and I think this is why there are so many S2000's on the market sitting.
The following users liked this post:
Roddy13 (06-15-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

This might help you get a sense.
https://bringatrailer.com/honda/s2000/
Old 05-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

In my opinion, as with most other roadsters, there are cyclical impacts on pricing each year as determined by the seasons. Prices will rise some during the warmer months and drop a bit during cooler months. Overall long term pricing still appears to be on the rise for these cars where I live. So as we head into summertime, you can likely expect the demand for S2000s to rise a bit along with the prices they'll bring. As always, all-original cars with the lowest mileage tend to bring the most money. In general, as long as people are still interested in driving these cars (as opposed to just collecting them), with all other aspects being equal, the newer the year model, the more money it will bring.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

No matter how much someone loves the car, an S2000 is not in the same class as higher end, luxury sports cars.

That being said, it does appear to occupy a coveted position for mid range sports cars. As others opined, low mileage, unmolested example go for more than others. Still, you are not going to get rich holding on to your S2000.

If you really like them, you will pay for one you want. I paid book for a perfect, low miles, 09 in the color I wanted (Rio Yellow, 38 that year sold in the US) because that is exactly what I wanted and I knew I probably would not see another one like it, especially from Arizona, corrosion free.

I have grown to really like this inexpensive, super fun little car especially since I live in the area God created for the S2000. My wife firmly believes, I suspect she is correct, I will never sell.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
This might help you get a sense.
https://bringatrailer.com/honda/s2000/
some nice data points, thanks.

interestingly the cheapest s2000 sold in 2018 was 15k. From looking at bat alone I would say the market is going up.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
No matter how much someone loves the car, an S2000 is not in the same class as higher end, luxury sports cars.

That being said, it does appear to occupy a coveted position for mid range sports cars. As others opined, low mileage, unmolested example go for more than others. Still, you are not going to get rich holding on to your S2000.

If you really like them, you will pay for one you want. I paid book for a perfect, low miles, 09 in the color I wanted (Rio Yellow, 38 that year sold in the US) because that is exactly what I wanted and I knew I probably would not see another one like it, especially from Arizona, corrosion free.

I have grown to really like this inexpensive, super fun little car especially since I live in the area God created for the S2000. My wife firmly believes, I suspect she is correct, I will never sell.
All true, agree almost 100%. If you were to insert the words "...one of the areas..." before "...God created for the S2000" then I could agree 100%. I have to assume you have never had the experience of driving your S in the hills and mountains of Vermont on a sunny day in early October?
Old 05-27-2018, 05:20 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I agree with this.
The S2000 attracts a very wide spectrum of buyers from yougsters to older, people who know the vehicle well to those who know nothing, people with college student budget to those with plenty of budget. Some who can afford the premium and know the car well will pay a premium for low mile good condition examples (I've seen many sell for high 20's/low 30's) especially if they have been shopping and seeing some pretty beat up examples (there are many). Then you have those who want em on a tight budget for 10k or much less... with all that said, I think we're seeing a trend in well cared for examples selling at rising prices. There are many very beat up vehicles on the market that are trying to be sold at escalated prices vs what they should be as well. But the good ones, clean and well maintained (you know the ones I'm talking about) will always find a buyer willing to spend the extra $.

Mine now is what most would call "molested" given it's boosted now, but I wouldn't sell it for less than 30k+ given the condition of the car and quality parts I've invested in adding to it... BUT - it's not for sale either and I'm planning on keeping it part of the stable for ever. To me, mine is easily worth 60k+ to ME given that is the absolute minimum I would spend if I had to replace it with another type of roadster that would give me the same driving dynamics and pleasure.

Last edited by MrFunk; 05-27-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 AM

This is all true but compared to its contemporaries.... let's just says sporty cars from the 2000's... how many cars hold their value better than a s2000?

True exotics aside, the 911 is pretty stable. The 1m, Maybe the nsx? What about the GTR?

What has depreciated faster than the s2000? Just about everything else...

Corvette
350z
Miata
M3
Z4
Cayman
Mustang

At this price level, it's hard to think of another sporty car that has held its value as well. It's about at 50-60% of msrp. Not too bad.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
All true, agree almost 100%. If you were to insert the words "...one of the areas..." before "...God created for the S2000" then I could agree 100%. I have to assume you have never had the experience of driving your S in the hills and mountains of Vermont on a sunny day in early October?
I have to give it to you, I have not done that with the S. Back in 75 I did in a Maverick, but that is not the same I am sure! Sure wish you could rent an S because my wife has been pressing me to head out there for the fall colors. Might have to settle for a Hertz convertible!

Still, I guess God had to throw a bone to the rest of the country. I am reminded of the quote: “God sends the rain to the just and to the wicked alike.”

Quick Reply: Where is the S2000 market right now?