S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

wider track

Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wider track

how would it change the s2k if it had a wider track? any negative effects?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much wider? You talking about an inch or so or are thinking full out with 4-6 inches out at all corner?
If you're just thinking about offset wheels I doubt you'd see too much negative effects. It will create a little more driveline wear and tear and turning radius might be reduced slightly but I doubt you'd notice either really.
If you're talking full out then you've got your work cut out for you.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Jfw is right.

Assuming that you're using spacers or offset wheels to increase the track, the extra offset will put more load on the wheel bearings, and increase the lever arm the suspension is working through, effectively making the suspension softer. At the same time, weight transfer is reduced, but the car will probably still have more roll with the wider track. Think about how the forces would change if you put the wheels on spacers that were six feet long and the way that would change the leverage throught the suspension system and it's pretty easy to visualize what goes on. Of course a small track change will only make a tiny difference, so it all depends on how far you want to go. If all else were equal after you widened the track (and they won't be) the car could generate more cornering grip due to the reduced lateral weight transfer.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing, just musing. the S has always seemed narrow to me compared to other sports cars
Old 04-14-2007, 11:56 PM

it's not just width that makes a great handling sports car. it might look cool, but regardless of looks, Honda knew what they were doing when they designed the S2000, and it's narrow (non child-bearing hips) rear end.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Apr 15 2007, 01:51 AM
nothing, just musing. the S has always seemed narrow to me compared to other sports cars
I've considered trying spacers on the back of my car. They aren't expensive and I can't imagine a simpler mod. Spacers (or greater wheel offset) will soften the effective spring, shock, and anti-roll bar rates at the back of the car, and all that should move the bias more toward understeer. It would be a small move, but that's all my car needs. I may yet give it a try, but I've pretty much decided that what I really need is some adjustability, and a good adjustable FSB is really the best solution.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Nexus_One,Apr 15 2007, 02:56 AM]it's not just width that makes a great handling sports car.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexus_One,Apr 15 2007, 12:56 AM
Honda knew what they were doing when they designed the S2000, and it's narrow (non child-bearing hips) rear end.
You do know that great things can always be improved, correct?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you thought about a UK alignment, rolling your fenders, and putting some fatter rubber on the rears?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 16 2007, 12:38 AM
Have you thought about a UK alignment, rolling your fenders, and putting some fatter rubber on the rears?
Of course, but except for alignment none of those solutions are adjustable either. I am already running UK specs, altered slightly based on pyrometer readings. Right now the car is just right for slower autocrosses (and most of the autocrosses in this area fall into that catagory), but an adjustable FSB will let me change the handling bias for faster courses, track days, and normal street driving. At the point we are with the cars suspension right now, and given the direction we're going with the car, the FSB really makes more sense than any of the other options. LOL, the hard part was finding the right bar and convincing myself it was worth the asking price.

Quick Reply: wider track