S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will Honda keep up in 2002 and beyond (kinda long)?

Old 10-26-2001, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All excellent points.

What I'm saying here is this: I don't want to see the S2000 become a Miata competitor in the future. I want to see Honda continually improve the S2000 gradually every year that it is in production.

Look what Porsche did with the 911 from the early 60's until the early 90's. Continuous improvement in performance, handling, and style. I want Honda to do that. (After that was all downhill IMO ). Anybody here ever driven a late 80's 911? That is one hell of a fun ride!

And by the way, the S2000 is not a "light" car by all standards. The RX7 weighed about the same and had more power in 1993. Certainly there are more rigorous safety standards that dictate some of that (side impact beams, dual air bags, etc), but If you want a "light" car then you better get a Miata or a MR2-S.

But there is something to be said for having a $33K Honda out-performing and out-handling $40K bimmers and $50K Porsches. If Honda pats itself on the back and doesn't continue to improve the S, then we won't be able to say that for much longer.

Time to go have fun in the S on a Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't y'all get in too many races.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:22 PM

All that aside...if you're worried about Honda making upgrades...just be patient. They made the NSX in 91 and it still holds it's own against a LOT of cars. Sure you can smoke an NSX in something else...but you can smoke something else in a VT Lambo and smoke that in an F1 and so on and so on. The S2000 is only in it's 3rd model year...give it a break man.

Besides that...Nissan has those 3.5 liter engines...but notice that's ALL they've got right now. Plus it's a liter and a half bigger than the S2000. See if Nissan makes a roadster to compete with the S2000 and THEN compare it to everything else. Have you driven the 6-Speed Maxima? The stick in it kinda sucks...I could get closer shifts in a row boat.

Truth is...a ton of cars could beat the hell out of the S2000 when it first came out. I think you just fell for all the hype and thought that the S2000 was the Hail-Mary of automobiles. Relax a little, lay off the Prozac and give Honda some time. If they keep making this car like the NSX...then I'm sure when the time is right, they'll release another generation of "Tiger's from Tochigi."

Good lord man...they change Accords on a 5 year cycle...at least wait till then to worry about it. Honda's been around a long time and every car they've put out they've improved on. Why would you think it'd be any different with the S2000?
Old 10-26-2001, 08:27 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
[B]
Old 10-26-2001, 09:13 PM

I think it is Mungen who has a 2.2L engine which they are testing now. Last winter I read about a 2.5L engine (Temple of VTEC? I can't remember) with performance like our engines. That would make it around 200ft.lbs of torque and 290hp. Then 2.0L engine was choosen for Honda' s 50th birthday and also the celebration of Y2K. Don't forget, back in the early 60s Honda's first roadster was released as the S500, a few years later the S600 was released. And before the close of production in 70 or 71 the S800 was released and Honda never shipped any of those cars to the U.S. What I would really like to see, is a 2.8L V6 with a redline around 9000 rpm. I hope Honda of Japan reads this ! It would sure make a lot of us Happy.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:35 PM

this argument is pointless. the automobile companies have been trying to "out-do" each other from the beginning. Porsche released the boxster with 201hp, but when competitors beefed it up they did too. most industries are like this and theres nothing you can do. a fancy computer today will be slow and puny a year from now.
dont worry, when competitors raise the stakes, so too will honda. i'm sure 2 years ago, Boxster owners and m-roadster owners were saying same the same thing when the s2000 was released. now that more powerful auto are showing up, honda will respond
but lets not forget ...the s2000 is a roadster...a convertible and many of the cars you listed dont have that option...
Old 10-26-2001, 09:47 PM

The S2000 is unfortunately mostly steel. This is disappointing, considering the $25,000 Mitsubishi EVO 7 has

1) Aluminum hood
2) Aluminum front fenders
3) Aluminum suspension arms front and rear
4) Lightweight Brembo calipers front and rear
5) Titanium turbo blades (more for spool up than weight reduction)

Point is, Honda could have reduced the weight by probably about 100lb in the factory if they did the above modifications. I am a little disappointed they didn't take the weight reduction further, but I can live with it!
Old 10-27-2001, 12:44 PM

The 2 liter engine size was chosen because this is considered the maximum size for a 4 cyl engine without balance shafts, any larger and it will vibrate quite a bit (re: old GM Quad 4s).
Since this would be a 9k rpm engine, balance shafts were out of the question.
IMO the next step is dropping a new version of the NSX V6 in the nest gen S2000, which is logial since the next gen NSX will sport a V8.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted by me
[QUOTE]Wrong!
Old 10-28-2001, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dlq04
Hey, we know you're excited about this 9 month wait with the anticipated April delivery but you shouldn't brag about the baby before it's born.
I'm sure glad I don't live in your area of the space / time continuum. Over here it is only 5 - 6 months; Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2000yellow
[B]The 2 liter engine size was chosen because this is considered the maximum size for a 4 cyl engine without balance shafts, any larger and it will vibrate quite a bit (re: old GM Quad 4s).
Since this would be a 9k rpm engine, balance shafts were out of the question.

Quick Reply: Will Honda keep up in 2002 and beyond (kinda long)?