S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will Not Start!

Old 06-22-2003, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Not Start!

Hello everyone - I went down to fire up the S2000 this morning (it has been sitting in the garage for a few weeks), and it would not turn over. Now when I hit the start button, you can just here clicking. I do have headlights, albeit fairly dim.

I tried to jump start it with booster cables and my RSX to no avail. I still get the clicking when hitting the start button.

Any thoughts? Is this simply a dead battery?
Old 06-22-2003, 04:28 AM

Sounds like a dead battery to me. You may want to let the S2000 stay hooked up to the jumpers for a couple minutes with the RSX running. I recall having to do this for my Integra to get it to turn over.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:59 AM

Oh yeah - once you get the S2000 started, make sure you leave it running for a while, or better yet, go for a 20 minute drive to charge the battery up. BTW, once my Integra battery died (and was recharged) it never would hold a charge very well again. It died a couple more times before I had it replaced and it was only about 1.5 years old.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the input Dave. I just tried to leave my RSX started for a good 10 minutes (with it jumped) - it's not even trying to turn over now, just click-click-click-click...

Should I just go buy another battery?
Old 06-22-2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by pittpanther
Should I just go buy another battery?
Yes
Old 06-22-2003, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for dead battery too. My '01 battery started not lasting between drives about a year ago. My car usually goes a week or two between drives. I bought a $35 charger to trickle charge it or charge it up before I drive it.

Go get a charger. It's a good thing to have anyway.

By the way, my poorly performing battery always passed all its tests on the dealer's fancy battery tester. I think the OEM battery is wimpy, probably mostly to save weight. I would buy a new one if I were taking my car out of town on a trip.

I think there are a lot of current draws in this car when the car is off including: radio, computer, alarm.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:56 AM

You can always take the battery to a local shop to check it out.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Everyone is giving you good advice, Pittpanther. I'd like to add one additional suggestion. Disconnect the battery, and clean the posts and clamps with a wire brush battery terminal cleaner (or steel wool if you have some handy). Quite often, the connections develp a lead oxide film that is a non-conductor. Even though the termials look clean, you don't get a good connection. That could possibly be why the car won't start when you jump it.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:31 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not sure how it can be a dead battery if it won't turn over when jumper cables are used... Maybe a blown fuse?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:40 AM

Maybe a bad starter?

Jumper cables should work, but you have to be using good cables with good flow, and with a "real" battery, not a puny RSX unit. Try to jump from a minivan/SUV/truck.

Jumping your S2000 with an RSX is like jumping an Expedition with a Civic.

But if it's been sitting idle for a few weeks, and won't start on demand, it sounds like something is leeching off your battery. Did you leave a door open? Do you have an aftermarket audio system?

Quick Reply: Will Not Start!