S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

windshield cracking?

Old 09-18-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up windshield cracking?

Hello!

Is it just me or is the windshield in the S2000 really thin? Just in the past 2 weeks, I've gotten two small "stars" on the windshield. In about 100k miles on my jeep I got one small star and now in the space of two weeks, I've gotten two from what sounded like very small rocks. I've heard rocks of the same sound bouce off my jeep windshield with no cracks...

anyone else notice this? the insurance company will come out and "fix" the windshield but you can still see the little starburst...

maybe it's just my bad luck???

Jeff
Old 09-18-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every s2000 has the same problem. I had to replace my windshield recently.
Something fell out of a tree while I was driving around 60ish and made a slight crack and ended up becoming bigger everyday.

Almost $900 to replace that ucker.

2 months later I have 2 stars in my windshield from various trucks/jeeps/SUV's and sh*t that don't have mudflaps.

I wish there was a law against not having mudflaps.
Seriously. It's getting really annoying.

Goodluck.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Had mine replaced for $250, shop around....
Old 09-18-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got screwed if you paid $900 to replace your windshield. In South Carolina if you have average coverage, glass is fully covered 100% (meaning no deductible). Regardless, replacing the windshield with OEM glass and a quality install shouldn't be more than $350-400 and that's steep. Sorry, just being honest from my own experiences.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by kkyntmoon,Sep 18 2004, 03:09 PM
Every s2000 has the same problem. I had to replace my windshield recently.
Something fell out of a tree while I was driving around 60ish and made a slight crack and ended up becoming bigger everyday.

Almost $900 to replace that ucker.

2 months later I have 2 stars in my windshield from various trucks/jeeps/SUV's and sh*t that don't have mudflaps.

I wish there was a law against not having mudflaps.
Seriously. It's getting really annoying.

Goodluck.
Heck, just driving on major highways in my area (The D.C. Beltway) I've gotten crap from sedans, and even on one occasion, a miata I was behind....

The thing that is even worse than people with huge vehicles and no mudflaps, are towing companies that will tow something that is literally falling apart. I was behind a flatbed the other day and it was towing a decaying motor-home/camper thing, and pieces of the roof began flying off. Luckily I was a ways behind it....

-Chase
Old 09-18-2004, 08:10 PM

I looked around me today and shit most cars dont have mudflaps!! Its the damn SUVS which always spring lil rocks......
Old 09-18-2004, 10:00 PM

This happened to me about a month and a half after getting my MY04. A Nissan Murano, about 8 car lengths ahead of me, spit up a rock and smacked my windshield. I saw it coming, but couldn't react fast enough. I couldn't believe it because the Murano was so far ahead of me and I was purposely keeping my distance from him (my roommate actually). I think I screamed every obscenity in the book. My insurance company, USAA, will fully cover repair, but for a replacement, I would have had to pay my deductable, which at the time was $500. I've since lowered the deductable to $100 and luckily I was able to get it repaired.

They can drill into the outer layer and inject resin into the crack. They then suction cup a press onto the windshield to press the resin into the crack. A few minutes later they hold a black light over it to cure the resin. If the crack is not too large, it will bond it together and stop it from spreading across the windshield. You barely see the "star" afterwards.

The S is a low car and the windshield is steeply angled. Rocks hit it pretty much head on.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:43 PM

yeh glass fixing is def an art.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Sep 18 2004, 10:43 PM
yeh glass fixing is def an art.
yup, i gotta get mine fixed.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:22 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

My insurance co. waves the deductible when it comes to repairing windshield cracks. My insurance agent explained to me that the insurance co. would rather pay $50.00 to fix a crack than $200+ to replace a windshield.
On another note in Vt it is a law that trucks and most suv's have to have mudflaps to pass inspection, which is a good thing.

Quick Reply: windshield cracking?