S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Winter storage - to cover or not to cover!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter storage - to cover or not to cover!

Have done a lot of reading in the forums and there seems to be differing opinion on whether or not to cover your S2000 for winter storage.

So here is the situation:
- unheated double garage
- other half in use during the winter so garage has traffic
- looking at getting the OEM dust cover (don't see a need for the weather resistant one as the car is inside)

People in favour of dust covers seem to say that they will protect against general dirt and grime, person traffic near the vehicle.

People against argue that the cover will scratch the paint.

So share your thoughts if you can. What do you do with your S and why (assuming you put it away for the winter)!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I use the OEM dust cover, have for 7 years, car looks exactly the same in the spring when the cover comes off as it did when I put in on in the late fall.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OEM car cover is fleece like material on the inside. If it is placed over a clean dry car (no dirt, no dust) I don't see how it could scratch the paint. Did use it on mine in a lightly heated (12C), dry garage last winter.

Looked pretty good this spring
Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM

i find it odd that youre asking about winter storage at the begining of june...but as long as the car is clean , the cover shouldnt scratch the paint
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Been using the OEM dust cover for indoor winter storage since '03. No issues.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
i find it odd that youre asking about winter storage at the begining of june...but as long as the car is clean , the cover shouldnt scratch the paint
Yeah have to admit it is an odd time to plan for putting the car away - that said I just got the car and I like to plan - especially as I am being quoted CDN$400 for the OEM cover at dealerships here and I can get it for US$200 (CDN$215) including shipping to the US from US dealerships. As I am going to Disney soon need to plan for a few online orders......
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Spammer

I have used the OEM cover since purchase of my s2000 new in 2007 in a heated but quite dusty garage under our 13 unit condo. Some of the very fine dust that we have will pentrate the material but as others have said if the car is spotless (and well waxed for winter storage) when you put it on, the fleece interior will not scratch the finish of the car. Because of the dust in our location I vacuum off the whole cover when it is on the car a couple of times in the winter and at the end to suck as much dust out of the material as possible and then when I fold the top I fold it in 1/4's the length of the car so that the outside of the cover is buried inside and never in contact with the fleece (fold it to the centre from both sides first - this puts outside to outside - then fold each 1/2 in half again - now you have inside to inside). I then roll up the cover from the back end and put it away in its sack. In the fall I reverse the process, roll out the cover from the opposite end (typically front backward) and then unfold the 1/4's so that again the fleece portion never touches dust or dirt when I reinstall the cover. I have never had any scratches on my car with the use of the OEM cover and would highly recommend it because of its very tight fit. It is well worth the money!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM

The OEM cover is worth every penny. My S2000 is not my DD. I don't have a garage but I have a carport over gravel. Since its more exposed to the elements than in a garage, I cover my car very frequently. I always wash it before I put the cover on. My first cover began to deteriorate from the elements so I'm actually on my 2nd cover in 5 years. Pollen and small dust particles will penetrate it but I have never had a scratch caused by the cover. For as long as I have a S2000, I will have an OEM cover for it.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 AM

Cover it, a no-brainer.

I cannot see the cover scratching the paint in any way.

-m
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

If a car is dirty/dusty a cover can put very light scratches in the paint when the cover rubs on the paint. That being said just wash the car before it gets covered and youll be fine.

Quick Reply: Winter storage - to cover or not to cover!