S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Winter storage tips?

Old 10-29-2000, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am about to put my S2k into hibernation for the winter and I was wondering what I should do. The only other car I ever stored was my old Camry, which I left in side yard for 8 months. I just took out the battery.

Needless to say, my S2k is NOT going to have that fate. I have a heated garage for it to sleep in. Any tips on what I should do to it before I put it to bed? I have the shipping blocks still, should I put those back in the springs? Should I buy jack stands. I also bought a nice cover and plan on taking out the battery. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Happy driving and I envy anyone that can drive their year round!
-Enginerd
Old 10-29-2000, 09:27 PM

I already posted information somewhere here about a week ago, but if this helps anyone, here goes...

1)check the owner's manual as it lists a few suggestions...

2)I have a heated garage too

3)Clean it well, apply wax, tire protectant, etc

4) I store mine on blocks to keep tires in round, no tension on springs (no need for rubber blocks if this is done)

5) I may be a fanatic but I got underneath and cleaned within reason to remove dirt, as dirt will trap moisture, which may lead to corrosion...

6) You may decide to change tranny fluid, but not necessary until maintenance says so.

7) change oil & filter

8) I left my battery in, plan on starting once per month, cycle air condit and heater. You may wish to trickle chg battery time to time...take it out and store in warm place?

9) I took car out of gear, emerg brake off, but placed sign in window to apply, prior to lowering again

10) I took my wheels off and cleaned thoroughly (back sides), to prevent corrosion

11) raise wipers from windshield, conv top up, windows slightly open, store with cover on - all of course if stored inside

I have probably missed some...lucky are those who get to drive year round in the sun!
Old 10-30-2000, 08:16 AM

Great tips!!! I know there's been discussion of this topic in the past, but with snow fall this morning plus many new faces and hopefully a new attitude towards repeat questions, we can get great tips... I plan on putting the car on jack stands and taking the tires off. I have a cover for the car and will have the windows cracked so the inside of the car can breathe and hopefully prevent fogging of the windows...

Got a couple of questions, I searched but did not find the answers I'm looking for...

Battery Care: What's the best thing to do? Should I pull the battery or use a charger with the battery installed?

My dad has a Porsche trickle charger (2 of them - one for his 944 convertible in FL and one for Mom's Pontiac Sunbird Conv in MA). These won't work on our car cause they trickle the power thru the lighter socket. Our cars don't power that adapter when the key is not in the ignition. I am very leery of leaving the car in storage with the key in the ignition...

Oil question: I will change the oil prior to storage. I have close to 7500 miles and will be switching to Mobil1, when the time is right. Is this the right time? Should I wait until the spring for the switch to Mobil1?

Heated Storage? I will be renting storage, will look around to see if people have space to rent. I am a little concerned having it in someone elses garage - the accidental bump in the nite... Another alternative is those storage places, but I am not sure if they are heated or not. Should I be concerned? I do not plan on periodically starting it while it sits there.

Does anyone know of any heated storage in MA???

Have I forgot anything?

Thanx in advance for great discussion and tips...

Bob
Old 10-30-2000, 08:24 AM

I like your screen name!
Old 10-30-2000, 08:32 AM

Black7564, my .02 - Pull the battery, remember you will need a radio code in the spring. Put the Mobil 1 in now, you have PLENTY of break in time on it, why wait? I don't think heated is necessary esp. with the battery out. What would be the advantage of heated?

enginerd - you "envy anyone that can drive their year round!" How do you feel about those of us who have no choice?

Old 10-30-2000, 08:48 AM

you might want to put something in the gas tank to stabilize the gas. can't remember the name of the product though.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:17 AM

"enginerd - you "envy anyone that can drive their year round!" How do you feel about those of us who have no choice?"

More power too you, I would love to drive it year round, but New England winters just won't let me!
Old 10-30-2000, 09:22 AM

It's called "Sta-Bil", Try to find it at K-Mart or a motorcycle store.

Originally posted by ricosuave:
you might want to put something in the gas tank to stabilize the gas. can't remember the name of the product though.
Old 10-30-2000, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C3, this looks like a good thread for the archives, since many of us will be locking down our hot rods so they can hibernate...

Old 10-30-2000, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by enginerd:
Hello,
I am about to put my S2k into hibernation for the winter and I was wondering what I should do.
If you don't want the hassle of putting her away for the winter, you can always ship her down here to California. She can stay with me, and I'll make sure she has a nice home for the winter - with trips to Disneyland, a nice place to park at the beach, and some good sun exposure. I would promise to take good care of your baby and send her back when spring arrives! Now which option do you think she'd like best?

Quick Reply: Winter storage tips?