S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wish our headlights had auto-levelling

Old 06-08-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish our headlights had auto-levelling

I was driving home last night around 2 in the morning, minding my own business when this previous generation Celica pulls up behind me and starts flashing his lights at me repeatedly. At first, I thought he was trying to get me to race (for which I was not in the mood for) so I just kept on going at my pace. Then he proceedes to just leave his brights on and tail me down the highway for a good mile. Luckily, our rear windows are so small, his brights didn't bother me at all. Finally, he switches lanes and takes the exit out. So, the only explanation I can come up with is that I must've been driving behind him earlier and he thought I was flashing my lights at him (the road was slightly bumpy).

I wonder why Honda didn't make our lights auto-levelling. Is it that expensive of a thing to do?
Old 06-08-2002, 11:27 AM

Dont worry about those ignorant people. HIDs have been out for 4-5 yrs, everybody should have already got used to it.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:34 PM

if the knucklehead in the celica was behind you the whole time, why on earth would you think that his flashing you had anything to do with your headlights? i am more inclined to believe that he was simply a butthole trying to either annoy you or get you to take part in some childish street race. either way, forget about it.

i don't know why the S doesn't have auto leveling HID's but I have a guess. our Lexus has the autoleveling feature and if i had to bet, i'd say that it's more to due with the fact that the Lexus is meant to carry a bunch of passengers, luggage, etc. all that potential weight would throw off the aim of the headlights.

on the other hand, our s2k's are not intended to carry a lot of weight. hell, i think the total load limit is something like 500lbs (someone correct me if i'm wrong). this leads me to believe that the engineers never intended anyone to put enough weight in the car to throw off the aim of the headlights, thus no need for the auto leveling feature.

btw, my theory on why so many drivers flash us is that the stiff suspension of the s2k causes the headlights to "bounce" around a lot and it appears to many drivers as if we're flashing them. just a theory.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:52 PM

Next time just tell him "slow traffic keep right"
Old 06-08-2002, 04:01 PM

Thats one of the problems with HID, most people think we are on high beam especially going on little bumps. Got to live with it.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:10 AM

The S2000 HAS auto-levelling HID's, apart from the north american versions...
I guess it's a matter of laws, in Europe it's mandatory, as is the presence of headlight washers, unfortunately!
Old 06-09-2002, 06:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do auto-leveling headlights respond fast enough to overcome quick bumps that make the headlights seem to flash?
Old 06-09-2002, 06:25 AM

No, they take about a second and a half to react - too slow to respond to a bump in the road.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:33 PM

Does Australia S2000 HID has auto Leveling Head lights??
Old 06-09-2002, 03:52 PM

i think it's amazing that our lights don't have auto-levelizing!
i think it's ten times more unique this way!
everyone who sees them raves about how cool it is that our lights change colors!

Quick Reply: Wish our headlights had auto-levelling