S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Yet another stereo advice thread

Old 10-25-2000, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know lots of folks have already asked for stereo advice, but I'd also like for feedback on the system I'm planning on having installed:

Speakers: Boston 65Pro component. The tweeters can be mounted in front of the midrange "axis mount" like a two-way but they still have the "real" crossover, so I'm having both the midrange and tweeters mounted behind the stock door grills. No holes in the doors and no attention from potential thieves. Probably not quite as good a sound as mounting the tweeters higher, but they would have to be pretty far back anyway.

Amp: Xtant 202M 50 watt. This will go in the tool well in the trunk with a new floor panel on top of it. Tools will go in a pouch in the spare tire. Should have the same amount of storage space as before.

I'm keeping the stock head unit despite the lack of preamp outputs. Again, I don't want any potential thieves to be tempted. When its parked, nobody will know I have an aftermarket system (well, nobody except you guys ).
Old 10-25-2000, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RX72S2K:
[B]I know lots of folks have already asked for stereo advice, but I'd also like for feedback on the system I'm planning on having installed:

Speakers: Boston 65Pro component. The tweeters can be mounted in front of the midrange "axis mount" like a two-way but they still have the "real" crossover, so I'm having both the midrange and tweeters mounted behind the stock door grills. No holes in the doors and no attention from potential thieves. Probably not quite as good a sound as mounting the tweeters higher, but they would have to be pretty far back anyway.

Amp: Xtant 202M 50 watt. This will go in the tool well in the trunk with a new floor panel on top of it. Tools will go in a pouch in the spare tire. Should have the same amount of storage space as before.

I'm keeping the stock head unit despite the lack of preamp outputs. Again, I don't want any potential thieves to be tempted. When its parked, nobody will know I have an aftermarket system (well, nobody except you guys
Old 10-25-2000, 01:47 PM

In my opinion no one here should be worried about their stereo being stolen. YOU'RE DRIVING AN S2000!!! If they want to steal something they're taking the car! As for mounting the tweets behind the door, that's not going to sound good at all. Highs are directional sound, they need to be pointed in the right direction and they don't work well behind objects; subs are not as affected by these parameters. I'm at least glad that you're not going to put a hole in the door for the tweeter - replacing that, if ever needed, won't be cheap.

Fellow Houstonian / S2000 Owner
Wesmaster
Old 10-25-2000, 01:55 PM

Won't you risk overheating your amp if you cover it with the floor piece? Just wondering...
Old 10-25-2000, 01:57 PM
Community Organizer

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Wesmaster is correct. In my opinion the best spot for the tweeters are as low as possible flush mounted into the pillars of the window. Keeps the distance between your ear and the woofers as even as possible.
Old 10-25-2000, 02:01 PM

Westmaster -
Maybe I'm being naive, but doesn't the "chip" in the key make the S2000 somewhat hard to steal? They would have to tow it or know somebody at Honda to get the code? I had my stereo stolen from my RX-7 and that car would have been much easier to steal.
Old 10-25-2000, 02:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've never heard of an S2K being stolen.
Old 10-25-2000, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunchild:
[B]Won't you risk overheating your amp if you cover it with the floor piece?
Old 10-25-2000, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky:
[B]Wesmaster is correct.
Old 10-25-2000, 02:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by RX72S2K:

Is there enough room to flush mount tweeters into the A pillar?
Yes, you can do a great job putting them in the pillars. My A/D/S speakers have the separate crossovers and center mount tweaters like yours and they are fine. I power mine with a PG 100/ch amp mounted in the spare.

Quick Reply: Yet another stereo advice thread