S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

1.5 way lsd...

Old 06-13-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im about to splurge on a new lsd...Will this help fortify my diff and prevent any future problems or should i purchase the comptech reinforcement at the same time?

thanks
chris
Old 06-13-2004, 02:46 PM

I'm pretty sure it was debated about and the end verdict was that the bearing caps and the bolts that hold it down were the areas of concern for the differential problem. The caps were creating too much backlash from the torque of the engine and traction pulling it apart. Never really a problem with the differential unit itself.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:12 PM

will the 1.5 way affect the performance of the s2k on circuit?
Has anyone had this in yet?
Will it cause too much oversteer?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by kane.s2k
I'm pretty sure it was debated about and the end verdict was that the bearing caps and the bolts that hold it down were the areas of concern for the differential problem. The caps were creating too much backlash from the torque of the engine and traction pulling it apart. Never really a problem with the differential unit itself.

this is not always the case. i destroyed my rear end. honda said it was because the lsd pretty much shredded itself in turn fusing my gears. when that happened everything pretty much exploded and destroyed my outter houseing..... so in my case the bolts and caps had nothing to do with it and the comptech wouldn't do anything
Old 06-13-2004, 05:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
will the 1.5 way affect the performance of the s2k on circuit?
Has anyone had this in yet?
Old 06-13-2004, 06:12 PM

thanks for the feedback blues2000boy

For the 1.5 and 2 ways, the power will be distributed equally to all rear wheels on acceleration and decceleration. This is often given the term " the rear wheels lock up". The only differene between a 1.5 and 2 is that the rear wheels lock up less in the 1.5 way on decceleration. Therefore in theory when you go through a corner with acceleration the inner wheel will try to push as hard as the outer wheel. This can occasionally cause oversteer ie why drifter love these mech diff. However the oversteer is more controllable than the conventional lsd (not sure how this compare to the torsen in our diff though). If the oversteer is too much you can back off loud pedal and the rear wheels will lock up and pull the rear in unless you have reach the point of no return
In theory the disadvantage of these diffs is that they may cause understeer on slow corner because the rear wheels are locked to each other (edited) on decceleration. This may not be as pronounced in the s2k due to the car's weight and grippy tyres. Hey if the car understeer in these slow corners, one can step on the power and get out of that corner faster with a little bif of oversteer and dorifto

As always, you know I will ask more questions I hope you can share some more experience about this blues2kboy.
So what you are saying is that the 2way does not cause excessive oversteer, more controllable and
is good fun?
Have you had any incidence where the rear oversteer too much and you take your foot off the gas (and preyed )and all the sudden the rear pulls in instead of 360 like the stock diff?
Is the understeer in slow corner noticable?

Thanks m8
Old 06-13-2004, 06:47 PM

ok like you were saying is the car does lock the tires. but not together like you were saying. because its a 2 way clutch type it reacts to each tire individualy. so one tire can lock more or less then the other. give more grip and power to the wheels depending on which wheel is slipping more. kinda like a traction control if you will. you do not get any over steer at all at any normal driving conditions. the only time i have noticable lock and by that i mean one wheel pretty much stops moving or skips if you will just like a traction control system if you understand what i mean is when i am trying to make a full lock turn from a dead stop. by that i mean turning the wheel all the way to one side then giving the car gas. thats the only time i experiance chatter or wheel lock. i love drifing my car. i do it often and i think this is how i destroyed the diff the first time. this is the reason i went with the 2 way unit over the 1 or 1.5 way. when i first got the car i practiced drifting a lot. it was not easy to do in the S with the stock lsd. i got it down to the point where i could control the car in a drift ok. but it was either a hit or miss thing. either i got a good one going or i just spun out. most of the time i just spun because the rear was not easy to control. now with the 2 way the car is so easy to control. i can purposly kick the rear end out and control it will no problem. here is the biggest difference. before lets say when i started a drift if the car started to come around whether i let of the gas or not i would keep spinning because thats the nature of the S2000. now when i start a drift if the rear starts to come more and i can't keep it going i can let off the gas and the car will grip and go straight and not spin. hope this helps
Old 06-13-2004, 07:24 PM

thanks for confirming my thoughts on this
You are right I made a mistake on my previous post and it's a litle bit misleading It's been edited.

I know perfectly what you mean Bluesk2boy. The rear wheels are not locked together, just on acceleration and decceleration. Otherwise the diff would be called "locked diff, great in drag car but no good for anything else. I've also driven 180sx with a 1.5way diff so I know all about those "clunks" and the annoying questions from passengers

The mech diffs are great for drifting but do you think these diff will be of any benefit for cicuit?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
thanks for confirming my thoughts on this
You are right I made a mistake on my previous post and it's a litle bit misleading
Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 PM

thanks blueS2kboy
the only difference that I am aware of between the 1.5 and 2 way is the extend the rear wheels lock up on decceleration. The 2 ways is really helpful for oversteer in drifting. The 1.5 locks up less and might be a compromise between circuit and dorifto
Thanks for sharing the experience

Quick Reply: 1.5 way lsd...