S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

90k plus miles on air filter

Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Default 90k plus miles on air filter

Well it was time to change out the air filter, not because of restriction but because it's six years old. The inside of the intake air tube was clean as if it was new. I even took a white glove to see if I could find any dust, I couldn't see any. The old filter was a Wix I put in when I bought the car back in 2010. This time I went with a Honda air filter, don't know if I'll still own the car in another 90+ k miles, but if I do I'll take pic's of it too.. This Wix held up very well and I would not heasitate to use one again.

I put a restriction gauge on my S back when I got the car and it still didn't show any restriction after all of those miles. We have driven our S over 105,000 miles all over the western US(I think 13 states) we also drive our S year round and we take back roads whenever we can.

Old Filter
Name:  P1040062_zpsrcoprog0.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  316.2 KB

Here are all the pics I took
http://s188.photobucket.com/user/rod...?sort=2&page=1

And here is my air filter restriction gauge
Name:  005.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  169.8 KB

ROD
Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

for the air restriction measurement
Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

How accurate is that gauge? https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2.../dp/B0014BI1KA

I refuse to believe that an intake air filter with 100k miles was not restrictive at all, that's crazy!

Consider resetting your ECU and going out for a drive -- what's the 'ol butt dyno say?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:40 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Awesome placement. They are very accurate, and used extensively in the diesel truck industry.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD
How accurate is that gauge? https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2.../dp/B0014BI1KA

I refuse to believe that an intake air filter with 100k miles was not restrictive at all, that's crazy!

Consider resetting your ECU and going out for a drive -- what's the 'ol butt dyno say?
HarryD,
These air restriction gauges are very accurate, I'm a retired truck driver( 2 million miles over 23 years) and every truck I drove had one. All my trucks had the gauge in the dash(except my first truck) so you could see it driving down the road and tell if your air filter was loading up. When I first put this gauge on my S I made a post about how I found that the stock opening on the stock air box gave me 8" H2o of restriction. I wouldn't have known this without the restriction gauge.

It's not crazy, it's because the filter on the S is way overkill(which is a good thing) for the size of the engine. At 2.0 or 2.2L it can only take in so much air and this size filter could feed a engine twice this size with ease.

ROD
Old 10-13-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
HarryD,
These air restriction gauges are very accurate, I'm a retired truck driver( 2 million miles over 23 years) and every truck I drove had one. All my trucks had the gauge in the dash(except my first truck) so you could see it driving down the road and tell if your air filter was loading up. When I first put this gauge on my S I made a post about how I found that the stock opening on the stock air box gave me 8" H2o of restriction. I wouldn't have known this without the restriction gauge.

It's not crazy, it's because the filter on the S is way overkill(which is a good thing) for the size of the engine. At 2.0 or 2.2L it can only take in so much air and this size filter could feed a engine twice this size with ease.

ROD
Interesting. Does the restriction change if the airbox lid is removed? Just wondering if the mods to stock airbox can improve flow.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1476342797' post='24082984

HarryD,

ROD
Great info as always from Rod

Yup I once read that the S2000 filter has more surface area than a Viper's air filter system, not sure of the exact number but it certainly seems to be oversized.

The OEM filter also stays pretty clean given it's location and air box design.

Rod, did you ever make any modifications to see if the air box restriction could be lowered ?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by rrounds' timestamp='1476377402' post='24083348
[quote name='HarryD' timestamp='1476342797' post='24082984']

HarryD,

ROD
Great info as always from Rod

Yup I once read that the S2000 filter has more surface area than a Viper's air filter system, not sure of the exact number but it certainly seems to be oversized.

The OEM filter also stays pretty clean given it's location and air box design.

Rod, did you ever make any modifications to see if the air box restriction could be lowered ?
[/quote]
Here is the post I made back in Jan. 2012
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/921...#entry21319421

One thing I didn't think of until later is the air box on both the AP1 and AP2 has the same size inlet. Maybe the 2.2L AP2 takes in just enough air to make that small restriction, I havn't seen one of these gauges on a AP1 so I don't know if it would read the same.

Drill a 3" hole in the side of the air box and run a hose down to the fender well, that will get rid of the restriction.

Or if you have a old hood you don't need, you could block off the stock opening, cut a 6" hole in the hood right above the air box lid. Use a 6" ring and seal it to the top of the air box lid and then seal the top of the ring to the under side of the hood. Put a small hood scoop over the hole in the hood and at speed you just might get some positive pressure. Have seen some good setups at the drag strip that make pressure at the top end(100 mph+). If I tracked my car I would try that out and I would use a wide band to make sure it didn't lean it out to much.

ROD
Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

^ lots of good reading Rod. I wish I had one of those devices when I ran my J's Racing snorkel on the OEM box. I think the engine liked the cold air, I never knew if the intake was more restrictive because of the snorkel though. I think it got some ram air working at higher speeds though.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Here is the post I made back in Jan. 2012
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/921...#entry21319421

One thing I didn't think of until later is the air box on both the AP1 and AP2 has the same size inlet. Maybe the 2.2L AP2 takes in just enough air to make that small restriction, I havn't seen one of these gauges on a AP1 so I don't know if it would read the same.

Drill a 3" hole in the side of the air box and run a hose down to the fender well, that will get rid of the restriction.

Or if you have a old hood you don't need, you could block off the stock opening, cut a 6" hole in the hood right above the air box lid. Use a 6" ring and seal it to the top of the air box lid and then seal the top of the ring to the under side of the hood. Put a small hood scoop over the hole in the hood and at speed you just might get some positive pressure. Have seen some good setups at the drag strip that make pressure at the top end(100 mph+). If I tracked my car I would try that out and I would use a wide band to make sure it didn't lean it out to much.

ROD
Interesting. Yes, I have done just that, for sound mostly. 3" hose in side of stock airbox, routed to fender well opening. Also removed most of wall inside airbox , leaving an inch or so for some amount of hydrolock protection, and removed the now pointless airguide tubes from lid. It adds just the right amount sound, without sounding harsh.

I have often thought about blocking stock snorkel and adding, exactly as you describe, a hole in top of lid with a matching hood opening, with a seal so as hood closes it seals up. Kinda like stock hood scoops on a lot of old school musclecars. Not for some sort of ramair, but just for coldest of air.

Quick Reply: 90k plus miles on air filter