S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alignment off or Steering wheel off?

Old 05-10-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment off or Steering wheel off?

I just recently got my car lowered and aligned. Now I am not sure if this was like this before, but I started noticing that I have to keep my wheel turned just the slightest to the right to keep the car straight, the car does not pull, but the wheel is just offset a tad bit. I did hit a dip in the road the other day, but I am not sure if this would of caused it? Could it be the toe is off after hitting the dip, or could the steering wheel be off just because it was off center when the car was aligned?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:41 PM

I wouldn't expect the hole to do this, you car should be a bit more durable. Sounds to me like a crappy alignment. Did you keep the receipt?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alignment shop probably did not have the steering wheel completely centered when they adjusted your toe. Just call the shop and they should take care of it no questions asked.

The Hunter 400 alignment setup actually sounds off when the steering wheel is off center. In the future, you may want to try an alignment center with a newer setup.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:09 PM

Interesting you say that IIGQ4U, the shop I used has a Hunter machine, but I am not sure which model. I will pass by the shop tommorow.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Did they have the machine with the electronic boxes that mount to the wheels? Or was it like this?

This is the style that informs when the steering is off. I am not quite sure about others though
Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U,May 10 2006, 07:13 PM
Looks like some kind of satellite dish antenna array.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:21 PM

I was trying to figure out how it worked but yeah... It's something else.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,May 10 2006, 06:32 PM
I just recently got my car lowered and aligned. Now I am not sure if this was like this before, but I started noticing that I have to keep my wheel turned just the slightest to the right to keep the car straight, the car does not pull, but the wheel is just offset a tad bit. I did hit a dip in the road the other day, but I am not sure if this would of caused it? Could it be the toe is off after hitting the dip, or could the steering wheel be off just because it was off center when the car was aligned?
If it wasn't like that before and the steering wheel hasn't been removed, then it must be from the alignment. An easier test could be try doing full steering lock both ways and see if the steering wheels stop at the same mirror-image angles, though one notch off the steering wheel may or may not be detectable that way.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:31 PM

IT was a hunter, but not that model, the units hanging off the wheels where square boxes, not diamonds. I dont recall having this issue before the alignment and hitting that dip in the road.

Its weird, the car stays straight, just the steering wheel is off center. If I put the steering wheel straight, the car starts moving to the left. Its very minor how much the wheel is off, but its enough to bother me. Even when driving on a road which is crowned and slopping off to the right, the wheel technically should be turned to the left slightly, but its actually dead center then, leading me to believe the steering wheel is either off center, or the toe was changed when I hit the dip.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM

My guess is the steering wheel. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Alignment off or Steering wheel off?