S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amsoil - Z-Rod for long term storage?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Amsoil - Z-Rod for long term storage?

I see that Amsoil's write up about their "Z-Rod" oil includes this representation: "It is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long term storage." Any truth to that?
I have a low mileage ap1 that I will be putting in long term storage. Could be several years, maybe more. I'm thinking about whether to do more than I normally do when I'm storing my car for the winter.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

That oil over-doses the additive package, increasing anti-wear and extreme pressure additives much higher than what the EPA wants to see in today's lower SAP over the counter oils. It also uses the higher zinc levels for flat tappet muscle car engine designs, it won't help as much in a modern Honda motor but it can't hurt either. I think it looks like a cool oil package, if you are truly putting your car away for say 2 seasons or more then I'd run it. If it is just one season then any good over the counter oil will do just fine.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That oil over-doses the additive package, increasing anti-wear and extreme pressure additives much higher than what the EPA wants to see in today's lower SAP over the counter oils. It also uses the higher zinc levels for flat tappet muscle car engine designs, it won't help as much in a modern Honda motor but it can't hurt either. I think it looks like a cool oil package, if you are truly putting your car away for say 2 seasons or more then I'd run it. If it is just one season then any good over the counter oil will do just fine.
+1 Modern motors are pretty good about sitting for long periods of time.

Make sure you totally empty your fuel out on the car. I'm talking run it OUT of fuel, pour a tiny bit of stabil in the tank after. Upon first start up dump 5 gallons of fresh fuel in after it has been sitting that long.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
+1 Modern motors are pretty good about sitting for long periods of time.

Make sure you totally empty your fuel out on the car. I'm talking run it OUT of fuel, pour a tiny bit of stabil in the tank after. Upon first start up dump 5 gallons of fresh fuel in after it has been sitting that long.
That is interesting advice. I've never heard that recommendation before. I've always put in a good dose of stabil type stuff, run it on a full tank until the treated fuel has run through the entire system, shut it down, and topped off the tank. Put it to sleep.

What is the reasoning behind that?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
That is interesting advice. I've never heard that recommendation before. I've always put in a good dose of stabil type stuff, run it on a full tank until the treated fuel has run through the entire system, shut it down, and topped off the tank. Put it to sleep.

What is the reasoning behind that?
If it's going to be 2+ years even with stabil it wont be great and you'll have to deal with shitty fuel. The more I think about it, the more I think you should run fuel with stabil through the whole system though before you run it out just to make you sleep at night better.

If you're talking <2 years stabil should do just fine if you fill it all the way up. Given that you have no leaks in your evap or fuel system.

This is just my opinion. I'd look into this more if I were you.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM

As I think about this - perhaps the thing to do is to bring it out once a year and drive it for a week, maybe run one or two tanks of gas through it, and then put it back in.

Last edited by rpg51; 01-23-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

If you are really going for years of storage, you may want to consider shipping the car to a facility in the southwest (that is why airplane boneyards are there) and lock it up after the usual recommended steps for storage. I think I would drain the gas, vial hose or direct drain, for long term. Otherwise fill it to the brim and expect to drain and refill when you finally pull it out.

If that will not work, you should drive the car every six months for at least 20 minutes, more if possible.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
As I think about this - perhaps the thing to do is to bring it out once a year and drive it for a week, maybe run one or two tanks of gas through it, and then put it back in.
This is what I'd do personally. Remember seals will deteriorate as well if it isn't run unless the environment is perfect.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
This is what I'd do personally. Remember seals will deteriorate as well if it isn't run unless the environment is perfect.
Yup. That is what I will do. I'll put about 500 miles on it every year.