S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone running both FI and NOS?? Problems? Warnings?

Old 12-04-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone running both FI and NOS?? Problems? Warnings?

Just curious if anyone on the board is running both NOS and FI (turbo or SC). I see a LOT of cars at shows here in South FL sporting both (saw a C5 recently), and am just wondering how safe it is? What engine mods are recommended to handle that kind of setup? What problems have people encountered? Would love to hear the stories...
Old 12-04-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a little while back a few people were running superchargers with NOS. I believe they were Vortechs. Im sure they will chime in here. Also, last I remember someone with a Turbo charger was running a 50 shot NOS. They said they were doing fine with it, but I would'nt dare try it heh. Thats just way to much pressure unless you have the engine rebuilt. Otherwise I believe that turbo they were running was a SpeedCraft.

-Adam
Old 12-04-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know about using nitrous as a top-end power adder for FI, but it can be used in other ways too. There's a local guy here, Bor Norwood, that built a nitrous/twin-turbo Ferrari Testarossa for John Carmack (id Software co-founder.) The nitrous is entirely computer controlled to help spool the turbos. One writeup I've read said there's a nitrous indicator light that flickers on as the engine uses some nitrous, and it's only every once in a while. You can never tell that the nitrous is being used, nor that there's any turbo lag.

Sounds awesome, but I'm sure programming the computer control would be a PITA.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:45 AM

Wow, Carmack's Ferrari has TT and NOS?? Learn sumthin new every day. But I guess my real question is: Who's running both on OUR cars?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I know somebody who's turbo and water injection - does that count?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
I know somebody who's turbo and water injection - does that count?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:46 PM

The reason why you generally don't see dual setups on our cars and you DO see dual setups on cars like the C5 is the amount of power THEIR blocks can safely handle. To get our blocks to handle the power of both FI and NOS, you really have to beef it up.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:45 PM

I never saw the point... Its just another trick in tuning, and nitrous significantly raises cylinder pressures ontop of our high compression and boost. Granted it can cool down your intake charge greatly, I dont think its worth the extra risk. You may as well just raise your boost.
gmoore
Old 12-04-2003, 02:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
The reason why you generally don't see dual setups on our cars and you DO see dual setups on cars like the C5 is the amount of power THEIR blocks can safely handle.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 PM

Pm RCR S2. He's running a 50or60 shot for low end and then has a switch to turn it off when it sees 3-4psi of boost. Don't know the exact details, but he's a good guy to talk to...he should help you out.

Quick Reply: Anyone running both FI and NOS?? Problems? Warnings?