S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Normal Temp Gauge Normal Operating Range

Old 06-24-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 Normal Temp Gauge Normal Operating Range

First off yes I searched and found that "normal" for AP2 is 8 bars meaning warmed up. But of course actual temps vary depending on driving condition and ambient conditions. But i couldn't find any determinable information regarding at what temp or bars on the gauge does it indicate a problem with the cooling system.

Anyway, I took the car out the other day for a little cruise/ errand run and noticed the temp gauge ran hotter than normal.

Car: 2006 (Stock engine, stock RAD w/ Honda Coolant...Checked Coolant, Full w/ reservoir at normal levels)
Condition: A/C ON, Ambient Temp 112 F

I was on the freeway running about 80mph when I noticed it was up to 9 bars. I slowed my speed to 70 and it dropped back down to 8 bars and held there. Until I exited the freeway and did some street driving it would vary between 8 and 9 bars. I stopped at store, went inside for about 10 minutes giving the car a good heat soak. Came out started it up, Showed 10 bars for couple seconds after engine start then back down to 9bars. Then shortly after back down to 8 where it stayed for the rest of my 20 min drive home. Coolant level is good and both fans working.

I found images online (one from modifry) showing this is still in the "normal operating range" as even 10 bars after the heat soak would indicate 232F while back to 225F at 9 bars and down to 178F at 8 bars. So I was running between 8-9 bars meaning 178-225F depending on driving conditions in 112F ambient w/ AC on, seems some what normal to me speaking in general automotive terms. But I've never seen the temp gauge move on the S before (past 8 bars) but this is also the first time I've driven it since temps broke 100 (bought the car over winter). I have a Mushimoto Alum Rad in my garage so I'll be making the switch with some fresh coolant regardless. But thought I'd get some thoughts.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM

Nothing?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Seems normal to me.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:11 PM

I've been experiencing this lately as well. This is my 3rd summer in Texas and apparently it's the hottest it's been in a while. After running errands mine jumped up to 10 bars but longer than a few seconds and settle between 9-10 so I'm hoping that it's just the Texas heat.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Can't help other than I've never seen 9 bars on my 2006 car. This is Ohio, though, not Texas but we got into the high 90°F range this summer.

-- Chuck
Old 08-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I think you are ok. Pretty hot (112F) and maybe humid where you are at. Be sure to bleed air completely out of system, if you change coolant.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Failing t-stat?
Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I say it seems totally normal in hotter than normal conditions
Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 AM

I can't be convinced it's my thermostat because it's new OEM that installed when I replaced my radiator and fans brand new all at the same time. I did realize today after I was done bleeding it that normally, I would check my coolant levels in my radiator and top it off as necessary before driving my car if I had just done any maintenance to it. Lately I haven't been doing that. After I bled it, I turned off my car, left the cap off, and left the front end elevated. I noticed that the coolant would gradually drop below the filler neck and I've had to top it off so I'm hoping that it's helping fill the entire system with coolant and not allowing any air or vacuum into the system. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:58 PM

Whatever became of your issue?

Originally Posted by ryanvnw
First off yes I searched and found that "normal" for AP2 is 8 bars meaning warmed up. But of course actual temps vary depending on driving condition and ambient conditions. But i couldn't find any determinable information regarding at what temp or bars on the gauge does it indicate a problem with the cooling system.

Anyway, I took the car out the other day for a little cruise/ errand run and noticed the temp gauge ran hotter than normal.

Car: 2006 (Stock engine, stock RAD w/ Honda Coolant...Checked Coolant, Full w/ reservoir at normal levels)
Condition: A/C ON, Ambient Temp 112 F

I was on the freeway running about 80mph when I noticed it was up to 9 bars. I slowed my speed to 70 and it dropped back down to 8 bars and held there. Until I exited the freeway and did some street driving it would vary between 8 and 9 bars. I stopped at store, went inside for about 10 minutes giving the car a good heat soak. Came out started it up, Showed 10 bars for couple seconds after engine start then back down to 9bars. Then shortly after back down to 8 where it stayed for the rest of my 20 min drive home. Coolant level is good and both fans working.

I found images online (one from modifry) showing this is still in the "normal operating range" as even 10 bars after the heat soak would indicate 232F while back to 225F at 9 bars and down to 178F at 8 bars. So I was running between 8-9 bars meaning 178-225F depending on driving conditions in 112F ambient w/ AC on, seems some what normal to me speaking in general automotive terms. But I've never seen the temp gauge move on the S before (past 8 bars) but this is also the first time I've driven it since temps broke 100 (bought the car over winter). I have a Mushimoto Alum Rad in my garage so I'll be making the switch with some fresh coolant regardless. But thought I'd get some thoughts.

Quick Reply: AP2 Normal Temp Gauge Normal Operating Range