S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BIG HELP NEEDED

Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG HELP NEEDED

My two boys and one of their friends thought they would do me a favor and install my Berk Header and test pipe last week. Let me preface by saying my sons are 24 & 29 and very responsible as is their 26 year old friend.

I was not around when they did it, but when I got home they said we have good news and bad. They said that they had installed the two pieces for me. Then they told me the bad news: they broke one of the three bolts that holds the Vtec Solenoid to the block. Before anyone asks WHY DID THEY REMOVE IT, I DON'T KNOW.

I have driven the car and it runs really good with the install, Vtec kicks in just around 6K as always and there are no oil leaks coming from the solenoid.

My questions are: Can the broken bolt (broken flush with the block) be removed without having to retap the hole and if so how? Should I take it to a mechanic to have it fixed or just leave well enough alone as long as it is not leaking?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:19 AM

First spray the bolt with a healthy amount of penetrant, then get a drill bit about half the diameter of the broken bolt and drill a hole into it and get one of those reverse bit bolt extractors.

Which bolt broke off?

If it is the upper right there may be an easier way.

I broke one of these bolts off in my head a while back, PITA to get out.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 AM

i have snapped all sorst of bolts as i work on cars every day,
try n find left hand drill bits so as u drill in, it will hopefully come out
you can buy them in packs here in aus
i would start with a wurth (spray) product called rost off then a 1/8 (left hand or reverse) bit n work up
once u go all the way through with the 1/8 spray in the hole so it can work from both sides
most important is to get the hole DEAD center so u have room to go to the bigger bit without munching the thread
and be very carfull not to snap dirll bits in the bolt as that is a true nightmare (i have seen it done)
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM

yea if you break a hardened drill bit in your head you wont be a happy camper. If it doesn't leak i wouldn't worry about it to much. If you really want it out tho you can use one of those extractors or just drill it out completely and retap it. If you have an ace hardware around they should have everything you need. Just make sure the person who broke the bolt off in your head gets a pineapple rammed up his ass =)
Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find some left twist bits. As far as which bolt, it is the one on the left side. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. At least it does not leak.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Jul 3 2007, 03:25 PM
yea if you break a hardened drill bit in your head you wont be a happy camper. If it doesn't leak i wouldn't worry about it to much. If you really want it out tho you can use one of those extractors or just drill it out completely and retap it. If you have an ace hardware around they should have everything you need. Just make sure the person who broke the bolt off in your head gets a pineapple rammed up his ass =)
It was my yongest son, he is 24. I am not really mad at him, it was a mistake. Him just knowing that the "S"s my baby and that something happened while he had it inhis possession is enough to make him feel bad. He just trusted the torque wrench to much. I also can't be to mad as they did install my header and test pipe. Even if I wanted to ram a pinaepple up his ass, I could not do it, his mother would kill me. Just kidding
Old 07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you are one cool dad! I know my dad would have done the pineapple thingy, that's for sure
Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=473941&hl=
Old 07-03-2007, 04:06 PM

Again thanks for all your help. Did I fail to mentionthat I am afraid of my wife , she would do the pineapple thingy to me if I even tried it on him. Oh by the way did I fail to mention that my youngest graduated college last year where he played football. He played center and long snapper. He is 6'3" and now weighs around 260lbs and he is just solid muscle.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Jul 3 2007, 01:25 PM
Just make sure the person who broke the bolt off in your head gets a pineapple rammed up his ass =)

Originally Posted by JimmyB,Jul 3 2007, 08:26 AM
My two boys are 24 & 29 and very responsible.

Quick Reply: BIG HELP NEEDED