S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blinking gauge cluster

Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking gauge cluster

Hey guys, after a good warm-up on the car, the gauge cluster blinks quickly when i come to a dead stop. This does not occur when I am "actually" driving. It takes a good 15 min before it starts. Overall though, the car drives pretty normal.

There was a post that i had found about a guy who said his gauges were dimming. That is about all i found with relation to this. I only went like 10 pages deep in the search under gauges blinking, blinking gauge cluster, etc. Maybe i am typing in the wrong thing which im pretty sure thats the only way to put it.

Now, if i had a short, is there anywhere in the S that has a common problem?

Recently, i added an exhaust. Tonight i added a testpipe. So far, nothing has changed. The blinking still occurs.

Lastly, the radio and other lights in the car do not blink or flash. The headlights/taillights do not blink. The other components start lit. It is only the cluster itself.

-Matt
Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternator is toast. Flickering dash is usually a symptom.

Could be anything, but go to Checkers/pep boys/auto zone and get your alternator tested real quick.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yup Alternator is what ive always heard is the culprit, i have the same problem but keep putting off getting a new one, I need to get a new one before i wake up one day and my car doesnt start
Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 AM

wow, the car only has 28k on it. I guess this is just a common thing for some?

Next, if i were to go to a dealership, do u think they could pull the fast one and say that by doing the exhaust, we wont cover it? I have specified engine warranty that should cover this stuff.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they shouldn't, but if you havea the stock one, put it back on.. or maybe a local member has one. you should get it tested first before you show up at the dealer anyway.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM

it is the alternator, you have a bad diode...but you dont need to buy a new one tho. what you need to by is the rectifier assembly and just remove and replace. took me around 2 hours using the service manual. got one at majestic honda for around $150 bucks...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 PM

my 02 do the same but i didnt think that alternator is the cause...light in the cluster blink when the car run and when the car is not running...the engine was beside of the car and the cluster continu to blink???...this is someting else then alternator...car is 142000 kilo somebody else?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM

its not the alternator, mine does the same thing. only when the car is stopped at idle just the cluster flashes but not the other lights. i was told by a friend that there is a bad ground in the cluster and you can send it out.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkbite,Jul 3 2009, 12:43 AM
its not the alternator, mine does the same thing. only when the car is stopped at idle just the cluster flashes but not the other lights. i was told by a friend that there is a bad ground in the cluster and you can send it out.
I know of several S2000s where they ended up having the alternator go out after the infamous cluster blink. Sometimes it takes a few months.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 PM

ok maybe so but if it was the alternator then everything would start to flash on the car, headlights, radio, radio control and climate control cluster, anything that would cause a power draw from the alternator.

Quick Reply: Blinking gauge cluster