S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buzzing of loose parts, cables, or something..?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buzzing of loose parts, cables, or something..?

Haha, so its been the second week that I've had my V3 Invidia exhaust on, my 70mm Invidia test pipe, and my Megan Header... lol... I'm just now noticing a sort of a buzzing, or fast-high-vibration rattling from behind me, somewhere in the back interior molded parts, behind the seat... Of course, I only notice this when I've got my top up...

Anyone have similar issues?

No, I don't have loose change in my car... its a BEAUTY queen, lol...
No, I don't have the passenger seatbelt vibrating on the side molding when I'm riding alone
No, I don't have anything loose running around in my trunk..

I'm thinking it might be like some wires, or something that is vibrating with the drone of the exhaust, because of harmonic vibrations... sort of like when you make a wine glass sing by rubbing the rim of it when wet... lol

Well, again.. just wondering if anyone has the same thing, and if they have found the spot vibrating...

I'm thinking about gutting my car this weekend to find the problem and fix it
Thanks!!

-Tylor
Old 03-14-2008, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At what RPMs does the noise happens?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

one place that rattled with exhaust vibration was the interior trunk emergency release latch.

i put 3M padding between the latch and it stopped that vibration noise. downside is that the trunk release (interior and remote) does not work because the latch can't move...so i just use the key from the outside, no big deal.

there have been other documented vibration noises inside the spare wheel area...there are pictures of two metal plug looking things about 3 inches apart to the left of the spare wheel that have reported to vibrate.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tylor - I ran into this same issue when I had my Invidia. I went back to OEM exhaust and issue fixed. No more stupid rattles/squeaks.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tylor we have seen noise upon going to Ti exhausts in BMWs - super quiet by comparison and a different owner profile - drove them CRAZY.

Believe it or not, simply loosing everything from the muffler back to the outlet then tightening in sequence front to back solved the issues in every case. May I also ask if you used antiseize on all the pipe junctions?

You see my suspension proposal?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I used anti-seize on all exhaust pipe component points. I believe it is something under my convertible top, under the convertible plastic tray peice.. it sounds like a loose washer. I will have to inspect further when I gut my car for the next track day

And no, I did not see your suspension proposal? Where could that be found sir? I had only recieved your quote for interior/safety goodies!