S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can't decide on brake pads...

Old 06-26-2004, 11:08 PM
J.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide on brake pads...

I read through the 6 pages of the FAQ up top but just got confused. Too many different choices and the thread was started 2 years ago so I'm wondering if there are newer better pads out there now.

I don't drive my car much any more but I'm trying to set it up for a few track days a year. I bought some ATE fluid and SS lines but havng trouble deciding on pads and rotors ( if I need rotors )

What would you guys recommend for the occasional track day. Something that isn't real noisy on the streets but I don't really mind the dust, since i clean my car at the sign or any dirt...

Should I get new or different rotors? I have 36k on my original ones now.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Administrator

No need to replace the rotors unless they're either a) cracked or b) under the minimum thickness that's cast into the side of them. If you feel they need replacing, the best bet is another set of OEMs or the G3000 replacements. No need for anything beyond that for most track S2000s.

A very good HPDE/auto-x pad is the Cobalt GT Sport. They're a little noisy but not truly obnoxious. You can easily run them on the street unlike true track-only compounds. Another decent and less aggressive alternative are the Hawk HP+ (I previously used these myself for 6 months for track and street). A third choice would be the Axxis Ultimates; they're the least aggressive and most street friendly compound but will stand up to the occasional track day without complaining.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have any experience with the pads Ludedude mentioned, but I've had very good results with Carbotech Panther Plus pads. They're not very practical on the street, however. I always put them in just for track/autocross work and go back to OEM all other times.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 5,099 Likes on 3,073 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
I don't have any experience with the pads Ludedude mentioned, but I've had very good results with Carbotech Panther Plus pads.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While the P+ is a decent pad, they don't hold a candle to the cobalt compounds, and the cobalts don't have that stupid rivet that you have to watch out for unless you want scored rotors.

Cobalt was started by the engineer responsible for all the carbotech compounds.

-Ry
Old 06-28-2004, 08:08 PM
J.T

So would you recommend the Cobalt GT serios for my application?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're considering the Carbotech P+ then yes. But like both of them they'll squeel some and dust more than a street pad.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Administrator

The GT series is a pretty good compromise pad for those who know what they're getting into with a more aggressive compound. They'll make a little noise but nothing like the Spec-VR or Spec-C pads which are all out race compounds. (I'm currently running the Spec series pads but I swap them before events...they're pretty unbearable on the street, even for a semi-hardcore guy like myself.)
Old 06-29-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 5,099 Likes on 3,073 Posts

I suspect either pad would satisfy your needs quite well.

Ry appears to be the only person replying who has used both the P+ and GT, I respect his judgement that the GT may be superior.

I can report that squeel with P+ on the street is so minimal I forget I'm using them. The dust build up is high (I suspect on both) but a non issue; most recently I left brake dust build up for several weeks but the wheels cleaned up fine without any staining. The last time I spoke with Scott Ahligrim, who has driven C&D one lap of America several times, he was pleased with the P+ performance on both street & track (he was using them as his full time pad).
Old 06-29-2004, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have had good experience wi th the Panther plus pads. I would not go near axxis ultimates as a buddy of mine tried those and they cracked and were pulled off the backing after 2 runs at the track 2 weekends ago. Fortunatley, I had some extra pads to give him so that his weekend wasnt ruined. I agree that the rivots on the panthers are a little scary but they help hold the pads on to the steel backing, you have to watch your pad wear closely and replace them when you get down to about 1/3 of pad left. I have considered other pads but I can outbrake almost everyone else on the track so I am tempted to stay with the panther plus. They do seem a little harsh on the rotors though.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on brake pads...