S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car did not want to start(bad battery?)

Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car did not want to start(bad battery?)

Hey guys,
I really need help on knowing on what is wrong with my car. So today was the first time that my car did not want to start. Before noticing that the car did not want to start, my radio would turn off when I would roll up or down my windows.
I had my car jumped and drove to autozone immediately. I had them check my battery and they said the battery is perfectly fine(a friend of mine from high school works there and checked it for me so i doubt he would BS me). A few weeks ago, I had LED lights installed under my dash and I had it connected to where the light is on all
the time when the ignition is on. So maybe a bad wiring or shortage? but if it was a bad wiring than why would my car be able to start up when being jumped.
if someone could help me it would be well appreciated.

Thank you
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if battery is okay - make sure to tight up connectors well. if you intruded into wiring recently - this is the first place to look at.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Yeah I would check out the wiring too, depending on how it was wired you may be causing something to stay powered up which would then be a parasitic draw on the battery. If you do have a parasitic draw the batter will be drained at an increased rate.

Does the car run fine after being jumped? If the car seems to lose electrical power while driving or with a high electrical load you may have a faulty alternator. The battery is literally only used to start the car after that the alternator provides all the electrical power for the car.

Wiring problems of which you might have would have nothing to do with your ability to jump start your car.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by VashRacing
Yeah I would check out the wiring too, depending on how it was wired you may be causing something to stay powered up which would then be a parasitic draw on the battery. If you do have a parasitic draw the batter will be drained at an increased rate.

Does the car run fine after being jumped? If the car seems to lose electrical power while driving or with a high electrical load you may have a faulty alternator. The battery is literally only used to start the car after that the alternator provides all the electrical power for the car.

Wiring problems of which you might have would have nothing to do with your ability to jump start your car.

I took my car to stereo/radio place where they install all that electrical stuff and I dont remember where exactly he wired into. I do believe it is something he connected to where its draining the battery alot, like you said. And before noticing the radio turning off when rolling up or down the windows and car not starting, I did have the ignition on for about an hour so im sure that had alot to do with draining my battery especially if the problem is toward the wiring of my lights thats killing battery. But besides that when driving it is perfectly fine.