S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car jerks when accelerating from a stop

Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerks when accelerating from a stop

Any of you guys have this problem?

Once in a looong while, when I'm at a complete stop and try to start, it seems like I just started driving a manual for the first time. It jerks like no other and I have to ride the clutch just to get it going smooth. It's really hard to explain... It's like the clutch enagement point just suddenly goes crazy.

I kind of noticed it happening when I'm rolling up and down when I'm at a hill. Ya know, just kind of playing with the car while at a stop; going back and forth. As soon as the light turns green and I try to go, it happens. I either have to ride my clutch, or completely stop to start smoothly again.

any ideas?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Could be your map sensor, I had similar problems like yours, violent jerking in 1st gear from a start. Replace my map sensor and haven't had the problem since. But it could be something else too
Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 AM

mine does this periodically, i just clutch in and start over.

i attribute it to the rawness of the racier AP1
Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 AM

I think i experience what you are describing every once in a while. It only occurs for me in the morning when the car is first being started up and im heading down the street. It only occurs in 1st gear too and once second comes around, the jerkiness is gone. This jerkiness only occurs when im on, say, only 15-20% of the throttle. It goes away after the shift and doesnt return. Kinda weird, but it makes me laugh cause the wife looks at me like "what the hell are you doing??!!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:01 AM

It happens to me as well.. I don't know why but just clutch in and she will be fine.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:14 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one. But yes, if once I shift to 2nd, everythings good. I can't remember if clutch in works for me... I think I would have to hold it down for a good 2-3 seconds. If remember correctly, I either have to ride the clutch, shift or stopping completely for it to stop jerking.

Haha, but yes i feel so dumb when it happens. Especially when somebody is in the car with you, or when somebody is right behind you... It makes it seem like you can't drive worth crap.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 AM

it happens to me too...but once its warmed up its good...i also noticed that if the rpm is below 2k it feels so week then once it passes 2k it just picks up like the vtec kicked in...as for the jerkiness, i believe the car just need to warmed up..atleast for me it works...but ofcourse sometimes the jerkiness happens from a stop then you go..i learned how to managed and live with it...maybe i just need to replace MAP sensor or something
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM

do you guys find that it happens mroe when you are "rolling" the car?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading this thread, it seems to happen to everybody... me included
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM

guys this thing you are experiencing is called "HEAT SOAK" it is attributed to the intake manifold temps rising and not allowing them to burn properly. research the intake manifold gasket by hondata.
http://hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

Quick Reply: Car jerks when accelerating from a stop