S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car pulls left on acceleration, right on deacceleration after accident

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car pulls left on acceleration, right on deacceleration after accident

My 2003 S2000 with 120k miles on it, got hit while parked on the side of road. Primarily left rear quarter damage. Aside from body work which looks good, the body shop replaced left rear wheel hub, left rear lower control arm, left Rear strut, etc, left and right wheels, left tire only though (Same make, model,size) The right tire looked ok but has 3k miles on it. BTW, Insurance is paying for all the work. When I got the car back from the body shop the car pulled to the right when accelerating, then shifts left when you back off. At first I thought it was due to old vs new tire but after 500 miles it was still doing it. I suggested to the body shop that it was due to worn vs new tire but they didn't buy it, instead they replaced the rear subframe even though all measurements of the frame showed that it was ok, and then had the car re-aligned. Now it is doing the opposite, pulling to the left when accelerating, then shifts right when you back off. I have an appointment to bring it back to them once again. What do you guys think? tires? worn vs new suspension parts, bushings, etc or alignment? or what else is there?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM

it could be something to do with your steering link. i had a celica that got hit in the front wheel. it would pull to the right when coming to a stop. lol never got it fixed just sold it. i would look all over anything dealing with your steering
Old 12-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

tire pressure
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2cho
tire pressure
Classic symptom!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks, I'll check that, I would have thought that the body shop or the guys who did the alignment would have done something so obvious?
No damage to front end.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is not something simple as tire pressure...

Measure the profile depth of both rear tires on 4 postions (12-3-6-9-o'clock) and 2-3 times per position (across the width - inner-middle-outer)
The difference in wear -even after only 3k miles - is the #1 suspect IMO.

Are the tires directional?
If so, mounted correct?

Did they keep the (original) right tire on the right?

What are the alignment settings?
Did you get a print-out?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM

I normally get 10,000 mile out of a set of rears, so it is probably worn 30%, I'll get numbers. I'll also measure diameter difference.
directional -yes,
mounted correctly - yes
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 225/50R16
Right tire remains on right, bead on left tire was bent, so they replaced it (wheel had a 3" dent in it).
Right wheel was replaced because it had a gouge in it were it was force against the curb stone.
I have print out - I'll get this info for tomorrow, don't have the car with me today.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 761 Posts

Tire pressure, brand, size, and tread depth must be an exact match, or you will have pull on accel, and opposite pull on decel.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 761 Posts

Replacing one rear tire with a new one will result in immediate pull. Has to do with age and traction. Put a new one on the other side. Soon.

TRUST me on this. To prove it, note which way it pulls on accel and decel. Now, momentary switch the rear tires from side to side. The pull will change and go the opposite way. It's the tires.

Dont leave the tires in the reversed position, as they will be running in the opposite direction and will be dangerous in the RAIN (water gets pumped to middle of tire instead of outside)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Replacing one rear tire with a new one will result in immediate pull. Has to do with age and traction. Put a new one on the other side. Soon.

TRUST me on this. To prove it, note which way it pulls on accel and decel. Now, momentary switch the rear tires from side to side. The pull will change and go the opposite way. It's the tires.

Dont leave the tires in the reversed position, as they will be running in the opposite direction and will be dangerous in the RAIN (water gets pumped to middle of tire instead of outside)

Quick Reply: Car pulls left on acceleration, right on deacceleration after accident