S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL but no Code?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL but no Code?

So this weekend I turned on my car and the CEL came on. I have not changed anything in my car for about 1 1/2 months which was the clutch and flywheel. I reset the ECU and the CEL went away for a day and then came back on. So I went around and tried to pull the code, but the ODB2 reader said there was no codes. So I went to another shop and it said the same thing. The third time wasnt a charm either and it still had no code.

As for mods, I have a VAFC that is not tuned, set on stock settings, CAI, Skunk2 68mm Throttle Body, Custom made Magnaflow exhaust (Still have cats), ACT lightweight flywheel and ACT clutch.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by scarfacecuban69,May 7 2008, 10:42 PM
So this weekend I turned on my car and the CEL came on. I have not changed anything in my car for about 1 1/2 months which was the clutch and flywheel. I reset the ECU and the CEL went away for a day and then came back on. So I went around and tried to pull the code, but the ODB2 reader said there was no codes. So I went to another shop and it said the same thing. The third time wasnt a charm either and it still had no code.

As for mods, I have a VAFC that is not tuned, set on stock settings, CAI, Skunk2 68mm Throttle Body, Custom made Magnaflow exhaust (Still have cats), ACT lightweight flywheel and ACT clutch.

Anyone have any advice?
My only guess would be an incorrectly wired VAFC causing an incorrectly reported CEL. That's my best (and random) guess.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=MikeyCB,May 8 2008, 07:00 AM] My only guess would be an incorrectly wired VAFC causing an incorrectly reported CEL.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM

TRY DISCONNECTING YOUR VAFC AND RESETTING THE ECu, THEN SEE IF IT DOES ANYTHING. Ah crap, I realized the caps lock was on and I am way to lazy to retype this. Sorry.

-Ian
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM

I will try that out. Just would seem weird cause Ive had the VAFC plugged in for over a month now. I got the plug n play harness so I a dont think it might be a wiring harness problem. I will keep everyone informed. Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your vtec set at?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM

5900 and I believe 5700.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm...does the code come on right away after you start it or does it take some time after driving?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM

After resetting the ECU, the code goes away for a few hours and then comes back on. It starts when I turn on the car. I have not lost any performance either. I went up against another s2k to see if I lost performance but I beat him since I was modded and he is stock. I took it to a shop also and they said nothing is wrong with the car and they have no idea either why its coming on. I havent had a chance to disconnect the VAFC and test it like that yet.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:05 AM

Well I tired disconnecting the VAFC and running it, and same thing, CEL still came up. I did a proper ECU relearning also and the car is still running great.

I did however notice something, my passenger parking light wasnt working. I normally click my alarm and all the lights light up when unlocking or locking, and that one didnt flash. I then turned on the headlights and that side was out. After 30 mins however, it started working again. Could there be a wire thats messed up or a fuse somewhere thats causing this and throwing the CEL??

Quick Reply: CEL but no Code?