S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch burned?

Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch burned?

I went on a canyon run and was running the car hard, I was waiting for a friend to catch up, and when he did I launched the car and when I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd the clutch stuck to the floor... I tried to put it back into third so I could at least ride home but had no luck. So I had to pullover and wait for a tow truck.
I got the clutch back to normal position, with the car off it goes into gear, so I put it in third put the clutch in and start the car, the clutch returns to normal position and without giving any gas my car is just idling while in third..... (No gas, no clutch, and its not stalling, just idling.) I get my car home and the next day I jack it up, to check for visible signs of damage and nothing is to be seen, I try to step on the clutch and it feels like I'm stepping on the brake pedal, it won't move. Did I burn up my clutch?

Cliff notes
-launched car, clutch stuck to floor
- starts, but can't get into gear with car on.
-if in gear and clutch out with engine running it doesn't stall when giving no gas.
- now clutch won't even budge.

Thoughts? Thank you
-Steven
Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not burnt, possibly failed clutch master cylinder if you goku stomped the pedal, or a poor shift could have broken your clutch. Hard to tell over the net
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Just took down the slave cylinder, to see clutch material all over...... My clutch just went to pieces...... Stupid mistake, never doing that again...
Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 PM

On all stock set up would it be best to just buy oem clutch? Or aftermarket?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you replace the clutch install a Ap1 slave cylinder . It will help stop you burning up the clutch . It will however increase the chance of blowing the diff . After market clutch for sure though . Oem unit is not that strong .
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Any suggestions on what type of aftermarket clutch to use?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM

I prefer clutch masters but the masses on here run the act pressure plate with oem clutch disk with oem throw out and pilot bearings
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Interesting... some of what you describe doesn't match what a wore out clutch disc would be unless you broke something else too.

When you say the clutch "went to pieces" do you mean that the clutch disc actually shattered? Or did the teeth of pressure plate break off? Like there are bits of disc material (destroyed clutch material will almost look like animal fur and will stink) Or chunks of steel and springs and such? What is the condition of the flywheel?

A worn or burnt clutch disc should not affect the clutch pedal as you said sticking to the floor unless there was damage to something other than the clutch disc.

Based on the information given, I would plan on replacing the clutch disc, throw-out bearing, pressure plate and flywheel. I would also inspect the trans input shaft and maybe the starter if chunks of pressure plate were spinning around in there.

If i had to replace my clutch, I think the ACT heavy duty clutch kit would be a nice reliable bet with a new OEM flywheel... but damn that is one hard launch if you shattered your pressure plate.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM

The more I read it you might be lucky and only have broken the slave cylinder...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vyndictive
Interesting... some of what you describe doesn't match what a wore out clutch disc would be unless you broke something else too.

When you say the clutch "went to pieces" do you mean that the clutch disc actually shattered? Or did the teeth of pressure plate break off? Like there are bits of disc material (destroyed clutch material will almost look like animal fur and will stink) Or chunks of steel and springs and such? What is the condition of the flywheel?

A worn or burnt clutch disc should not affect the clutch pedal as you said sticking to the floor unless there was damage to something other than the clutch disc.

Based on the information given, I would plan on replacing the clutch disc, throw-out bearing, pressure plate and flywheel. I would also inspect the trans input shaft and maybe the starter if chunks of pressure plate were spinning around in there.

If i had to replace my clutch, I think the ACT heavy duty clutch kit would be a nice reliable bet with a new OEM flywheel... but damn that is one hard launch if you shattered your pressure plate.
The clutch disk did shatter, there was a chunk of clutch disk about 5 inches long 3/16 of an inch thick in the trans that I removed, I have not had a chance to drop the transmission to see everything else. From what I could see, I can't tell if the pressure plate also shattered.

Quick Reply: Clutch burned?